7.3 Sluggish

1956ford

Pre-Retired
Reaction score
I tow a 37 ft 5th wheel with our '01 7.3. Truck is terrific, reliable, has decent MPG, with 128K miles.

But it is not a barnburner with a load. Driving across N. Texas towing the 5th wheel on those long mild 287 hills, it works pretty hard. I can't make over 40 mph on Raton Pass from New Mexico into Colorado. And on Georgia and Colorado mountains, it works way too hard IMO.

This is using a Diablosport Tow Tune through the OBD. The factory tune is much weaker.

My mechanic has one just like mine and just says that's the way the 7.3 is. Will tow all day, but not real energetic.

Is this common?
Anybody got any comments on this?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump the FPR psi to 70. (better/best injector performance)

R&R the fuel pump inlet fitting with a piece of fuel hose. (reduces air in the fuel)

Add the HPX line between the oil rails. (equalizes the oil psi to injectors)

Keep the fuel tank at least (more than) 1/2 full.. or do the "Hutch" mod on the fuel tank pick up line. (reduces air in the fuel)

R&R the 99.5+ turbo compressor wheel with a pre 99.5 wheel. (Reduces turbo surge in the HP/torque power curve)

All the above can be done for less than $500 bucks if you DIY.

All the DIY can be found in the SDD DIY feature ?

All the pieces'n parts can be bought through our site sponsors too ?

Joe

Last edited:

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Bump the FPR psi to 70. (better/best injector performance)

R&R the fuel pump inlet fitting with a piece of fuel hose. (reduces air in the fuel)

Add the HPX line between the oil rails. (equalizes the oil psi to injectors)

Keep the fuel tank at least (more than) 1/2 full.. or do the "Hutch" mod on the fuel tank pick up line. (reduces air in the fuel)

R&R the 99.5+ turbo compressor wheel with a pre 99.5 wheel. (Reduces turbo surge in the HP/torque power curve)

All the above can be done for less than $500 bucks if you DIY.

All the DIY can be found in the SDD DIY feature ?

All the pieces'n parts can be bought through our site sponsors too ?

Joe

I agree with all of the above. that will help

JRJ04

Reaction score
what trackspeeder said...trash the diablo sport and go with a more custom tune like DP Tuner. I started with a superchip, then went to a diablo then ended up with a DP tuner and the difference is night and day between diablo and DP...it really will wake the truck up.

dpantazis

Reaction score
make sure that everything ELSE is in proper working order before you mess with programmers.

else includes no boost leaks from intercooler hoses, no oil wet and pooped couplers, working injectors, good fuel supply, etc.. MAP sensors rarely go bad too, and that will affect performance (does not always throw a code)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track