Question 7.4K Starting Problem

top4653cat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 F350 7.4K model diesel. I have no problem starting the motor when it's cold, but when the truck warms up, I can't start it. (engine turns, no fire).

Any clue as to what this could be?

Any assistance is appreciated.

thx

Chris

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome4 Chris. First off; there is no 7.4K diesel model in ANY Ford truck. I am guessing you mean 7.3 diesel. The next thing is to change the fuel filter(s) and then try it out. I had a '93 IDI 7.3 and it needed a fuel injection pump when it did not start hot. I know you have a different engine. How many miles on this and are there any modifications?

Dave :)

top4653cat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Will try

You be right - a '94 7.3K Diesel. I got a spare fuel filter and try it out. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

Chris

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You seem to be hung up on adding a "k" after the engine number. It stands for 7.3 (seven point three) liter diesel engine. The "k" adds nothing but confusion. Have you had it scanned?

Dave:)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Almost any good auto mechanic will have the tools to scan any vehicle. Take it into a good garage and have them scan it and get the codes that show up. There is a DTC section in the WIKI Technical Articles Section on the TOP BLUE LINE. Click it and then click on "Articles" and look for the DTC's.

Dave

dpantazis

Reaction score
topcat-

1994 was a cross over year for motors, and BOTH were 7.3 liter motors.

you need to identify if it has a traditional injection pump or not. that will tell us which motor it is and can help you diagnose the no-start PROPERLY.

you are probably not going to be able to scan your truck. it really depends on which engine you have. its too old to really have much info. iirc, obd2 spec was 1996 and after. before that, it was all about emissions and o2 sensors, which we had little of.

also, can you check your oil level. low oil will result in no-start saftey override kicking in. for sure on later, i am pretty sure on early.

you can grab a couple of coffee table books from here that will give you good info on the motors.

DTS Articles - Coffee Table Books

EDIT: are you pulling the 7.4 from the serial number on the block? the later models had an engine family code of 7.4. read the coffee table books for how to id the motor you have.

obviously the info from the calibration stickers or emissions stickers will tell us the info we need to id the motor.

top4653cat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I still have to try changing the filter and see what happens. The '94 had 3 motors - that's been what I've been told -- and mine was the Turbo "K" model which was the last one before the Powerstroke. Whether that has anything to do with finding the solution--who knows?

Anyway, I scaned at the coffeebooks etc. I want to fix up my old beast but there are a lot of little things going bad. I don't want to spend the $ for a new Ford of like power. The choice I made is fixing the old girl up. By the way - Hate the Dodges and Chevy's plain out don't get it - this little puppy will out run them.

I do know that it started acting up after we had a "Big Rain" passed thru us. So it could be the Fuel Filter.

I didn't get to it today - other things crept up and the day got away.

Thanks for all your advice.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track