93 non turbo or keep looking?

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I currently have a 2000 f150 lariat 4x4 ext cab 5.4L

S7300307.jpg

I love diesels and always have, though I haven't owned one. I found a 93 f250 7.3L non turbo(IDI?) reg cab, long bed, 4x4, 5 speed, 3"lift, 35s, 162000 miles. my question is whether or not I should trade this truck for mine or keep looking?

f2501993yellow.jpg

I would definately like opinions on this like cons of going with this or powerstroke. what kind of mileage can I expect compared to turbo(around'96)?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much are they asking? Woud deffinatley make a good project truck/daily driver. It can always be turbo-ed later if you want. My 96 F250 2x4 got 19-22mpg...stock

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
theyre asking 4500, I'll check kbb
I kbb'd mine and it said worth about 8000 good condition, excellent was 8600. this would be a trade though. I cant really afford to do any major repairs on a vehicle. how does this non-powerstroke engine compare to the 7.3L powerstroke power, mileage, durability, reliability wise?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theyre asking 4500, I'll check kbb
I kbb'd mine and it said worth about 8000 good condition, excellent was 8600. this would be a trade though. I cant really afford to do any major repairs on a vehicle. how does this non-powerstroke engine compare to the 7.3L powerstroke power, mileage, durability, reliability wise?

They are very reliable....maybe even a little more. But don't expext to be speedy gonzales (excuse my spanglish). I think it being conservative on the power its putting out contributes to that. The turbo 7.3 has more power just because of the turbo...untill they came stock with inter coolers. I don't know too much about the fuel milage compared between the 2. My uncle has the same model 7.3 that has been passed around the family for years. The engine and drivetrain has never been touched on it.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could deffinately get a 96 psd for the value of your F150. It's just which one you would preffer to have. I'd preffer the 96 especially if I'm gonna be pulling.

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I dont pull often now but will occasionally pull a 24' boat and if I end up working for a friends dad, possibly some large trailers occasionally with some equipment. I do pull a smaller trailer pretty often though and pull the atv and sandrail around. I plan on definately exhaust, probably intake. how do these respond to mods? is there a tuner for this truck? how hard would a turbo install be?

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
stock to stock it makes about 90 less HP and 160 less ft/lbs tq
what kind of difference would the intake and exhaust make for this and what would I have to do to compensate for this fuel wise?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle had a turbo installation priced (parts and labor) for about $2k. So then you have a $6500 truck. If it were me and I wanted turbo, I'd go ahead and buy the truck that came with it. I don't think the truck is putting out enough exhaust to get a big gain out of a turbo back exhaust. Air intake always helps though. My 96 exhaust popped when I got on it.....my uncles 94 doesn't. I can't say too much about the fuel milage because I'm not too sure about the pre-turbo 7.3s, but I beleive they are pretty close. Hopefulky someone else will chime in about it.....

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
stock the 7.3idi has about 75 less hp and 10 more ft/lbs tq than my current truck. a powerstroke on the other hand has 25less hp but 175 more ft/lbs tq than my current so I think I'll keep looking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58