Help Needed 94 f-250 hard start

dbeck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have a 94 f-250 that is almost imposible to start when cold. i have replaced the high pressure oil pump,lift pump,glow plugs, and valve cover gaskets. what am i missing?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glow plug relay would be my first guess given what you've already done.

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
glow plug relay would be my first guess given what you've already done.

Ya thats what Im thinking. When I bought my truck it was the relay that went so I took it back for my 30 day warranty and told him it wasnt starting in the cold. He then replaced all the glowplugs for me which didnt help and I replaced the relay the next day...happily ever after

dbeck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees. i'll try a gpr as soon as i can a chance. thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking when I glanced back at this thread thinking wait it's summer so "cold" is not really that cold ie not cold enough to actually need the glow plugs. Right now mine are disconnected and I have no problems starting.

So now with that revelation, (don't ask why it took so long to come about) the next likely suspects are the batteries or starter getting weak.

Since diesel engines are compression engines and the heat for initial starting is generated by the compression of the air and assisted by the glow plugs. With the engine temperature greater than 60°F there is no need for glow plugs. I will say that I recently finished chasing similar problems. I know I had newer glow plugs, and a stancor contactor replacing my gpr, and my UVC harnesses & VC's were good and/or replaced when I did the GPs I had replaced the batteries about 3 years ago. So the last avenue was the starter to which I about choked when the parts guy told me the core charge was $10 more than the starter. So to end the long story after replacing the starter I am amazed a the difference in how the truck starts to the point now that I've disabled the GPs for the summer. (11&1/2 months a year)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Since you are changing it out you might think about going with a Stancor Heavy Duty 586-902. They can be found on-line at Mouser or Allied. They are a very heavy duty relay that will fit in place of the stock type GPR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14