95 F250 hd transmission to transfer case seal-

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a while since I have been on here. I just dont have pickup problems anymore since I got rid of my 6.0 and bought a 6.7. My spray pickup (95 F250 hd) has been leaking between the transmission and the transfer case since I got it, and I might actually do something about it this spring instead of dumping a gallon of atf into it before use. I was just wondering if these have a common oil system and the seal is a gasket where the cases bolt together, or if there is actually an oil seal on the back of the tranny and the 2 components are supposed to have seperate oil systems.

Edit: It has a C6 transmission if that matters.

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe both the transmission and transfer case are "self contained" and there should not be a common oil system between the two. If there is at leak at the joint, it would be a "seal" not a gasket leak......

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil truck would leak there. There's a gasket there but check the vent line could be leaking there. It's on the driver side right by the shift lever on the t case. There is a seal on the T case were the output shaft slides in too. But you need to know what t case you have, There are three T case NP208, BW 13-56,and BW 13-45. Most likely one of the last two, NP208 is a light weight for a f250. I have used RTV to seal the two before with out any problems.

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since it is an oil seal on the output shaft of the transmission, does than mean I have a bushing or bearing on the output shaft going out causing the seal to go bad?

Not really looking forward to this job, there must be 800 lbs of dried mud up under the truck, not to mention chemical everywhere....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the gear on the end of the tranny shaft is tight. If it is loose it can take out the seal. The two cases must be tight also. Good luck and please report back Krist.

Dave ;tu

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since it is an oil seal on the output shaft of the transmission, does than mean I have a bushing or bearing on the output shaft going out causing the seal to go bad?

No it's a old truck and the seals dry up. But it would not hurt to check it out and check the T case drive chain in the housing. I would also put new seals were need anyway. Why do the work two times.

As for the mud and crap. I would clean it out first before starting.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have an E4OD in a '95 unless it was swapped out.... regardless there is a paper gasket between the transfer case & the transmission tail housing often times leaks in this area can be fixed by just tightening the bolts that attach the transfer case a bit more. The output of the transfer case based on the seal you're describing is a slip yoke design. The seal will get brittle over time and not seal well but is easy to replace though I haven't had much luck in getting a perfect seal with the new one since the mating surface for the seal is the yoke on the driveshaft itself and after all these years of wear they aren't perfectly round any more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58