96 7.3 loose dipstick fitting...

akgramps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Weird......started my truck last night to warm up, 15 minutes later looked and saw a dark spot under the truck and discovered a stream of oil running off the passenger side of the motor. Right behind the axle........?

Pulled it in the shop and discovered the dipstick tube fixture that attaches to the side of the oil pan came loose?

Held in place with a big nut on the outside, managed to replace the o-ring and tighten the nut w/o dropping the pan..............wondering if anyone else has had this happen before and how successfull at performing a permanet fix from "the outside"?

Thanks, John

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to simply retighten the big nut on my 94 which stopped the leak, but some folks have it strip out. Your retighten didn't work you can always try the International fix:

Oil Dipstick Gasket Repair Kit
(International) 1846146C91

Cheers!

akgramps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was able to simply retighten the big nut on my 94 which stopped the leak, but some folks have it strip out. Your retighten didn't work you can always try the International fix:

Oil Dipstick Gasket Repair Kit
(International) 1846146C91

Cheers!

Seems to be working as of a 1/2 hour test, time will tell for long term.
Thanks for the info on the binder Repair kit, I am sure glad it didnt puke on the way to Valdez at -30.............that would have been ugly..................!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
not sure if it can be done with the motor in the truck.but when i put the second motor in mine i used the grey rtv from international on my dipstick instead of the oring.figured if the nut came loose the rtv would hold it since i broke 2 gasket scrapers and a large screwdriver trying to get my pan off.

akgramps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
not sure if it can be done with the motor in the truck.but when i put the second motor in mine i used the grey rtv from international on my dipstick instead of the oring.figured if the nut came loose the rtv would hold it since i broke 2 gasket scrapers and a large screwdriver trying to get my pan off.

Installed New O-ring, all done externally seems to be ok see #3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg