97 7.3 down

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
Hey guys, Towing a car on a trailer home last week and lost power. No CEL so I limped it home about 20 miles. Scanned it and first code was cam sensor. Changed it out and no change. Scanned it again and get P1293-High side right bank. I am correct that right is passenger side? So I changed Valve cover gasket and both harnesses. No change, same 1293 code. Do I need to take my 6pos chip out when I scan it or does it matter? Any thoughts on where to head next? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about 7.3 dtc faults. THis one could be the IDM is failing (IDM=Injector Drive Module) it is located behind the driver side battery. I do think you need to install your programmer to see if that may be your problem. Your chip probably plugs into the IDM. Good Luck in your hunt.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chip plugs into the back of the pcm.
I would try scanning without it. Just be careful removing it. Key out of ignition and batteries disconnected.
What brand harnesses did you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks 79jasper. I am not good with the newest 7.3s. I have never seen the IDM. But I do know (now) the chip goes into the PCM.

97 CREWCAB

OBS RULES!
Reaction score
I got the harness from ford. Got a diagram of harness off another site and harness checked out fine. So after 2 1/2 hours changing gasket and harnesses on pass side (1/2 hour trying to get trans dipstick and ground bolt back in) and an hour checking harness, changed IDM in 5 minutes and fired right up. Guys a word to the wise, Take it off and clean it periodically! The corrosion from the aluminum touching the steel is what did it in. Makes it hold moisture

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58