97 F Superduty stops running

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it sat outside for 3 months, without being started.. the (new) fuel filter could be clogged with sediments/water and maybe even algae ? Pull the (new) filter and take a look ? Change it out.. anyway ? Add some fuel conditioner ?

:dunno

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hot start problems are classic IPR o-ring issues depending what o-rings you replaced them with they may be slightly out of tolerance which would leave you with new o-rings behaving just like the old ones did.

Right now my car is torn apart because the viton o-rings that I decided were the right size evidently were slightly small because they started to leak oil after about a year and they are not subjected to the high pressures of the IPR.

And yes as patrick said most scanners including AE will work on the OBS trucks but some programs on the '94-'95 trucks do not activate the OBDII port so they either need a pcm reflash or a chip installed.

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Faulty PCM ??

After a lot of checking the mechanic told me the communication is lost after the truck warms up, causing it to stall. When the truck cools down he can get readings with the scanner. I don't know enough to ask about the readings but has anyone seen or heard of this failure mode on a PCM ???:doh:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a lot of checking the mechanic told me the communication is lost after the truck warms up, causing it to stall. When the truck cools down he can get readings with the scanner. I don't know enough to ask about the readings but has anyone seen or heard of this failure mode on a PCM ???:doh:

Maybe give all the connectors, under the hood, a good inspection, and a wiggle check ? (Corrosion, after setting for 3 months ?)

Including the Main connection, at the PCM ?

Last edited:

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got the truck back this a. m. with a new ICP Sensor. Runs perfectly hot or cold but an expensive lesson. I had no idea where else to look. App. 1/2 of a boat dollar but it works. Thanks to all.:sweet

J R

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the ICP signal was lost when the engine got warm leaving you with classic IPR symptoms.

While your lesson could have been cheaper not too bad considering that it would have been that alone for the PCM. Given the heat related issue the PCM is not likely since it is actually behind the firewall behind your ebrake pedal assembly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58