97 won't start

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to assist to assist a friend of my dads with his truck. His truck us a 97 f-250 with the 7.3l. I guess the truck had a check engine light and made what he described as a "bad" noise while he was driving last night. He shut the truck down and then called me this morning. When I got there, I could not get it to start. It turns over and is puffing smoke. It starts for long enough to reach idle rpm and then dies. I believe that it has something going on with the glow plugs but I believe that it has a fuel issue as well. When I did the ultimate "No-No" and gave it some starting fluid, It barked back through the turbo and I actually had flames in the intake tube. Fortunately I had already taken it all apart and was able to get out. At that point I told him that there was no way I was able to work on it where it is at, we are going to move to my garage. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I have access to a code reader but that guy is working through the weekend. Any help is apprecieated. Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get the codes and post them here. There is a code description in the WIKI section, above in the first blue line. Do not use either with glow plugs!!! It will blow up, as you have seen.

Dave

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It is showing a P0261. Which is #1 injector circuit low. What I have found that is doing is startinig and then dieing. So I checked the ICP and it is reading 0 all of the time. My thoughts were that if it didn't have high pressure oil the injectors should not fire at all. I thought one of the parameters for starting was that it saw 500 psi. So I am working on getting a pressure guage installed so that I can see what the actual pressure is. Is it possible that if it is having a #1 injector issue that the pressure drops low enough once it has started for it to die again?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We can guess until the cows come home, but that won't do anything. Get your gauge on and see what is going on.

Dave

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, It has 3800 psiat the hose feeding the high pressure oil rail. I am still at a loss for the issue.

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I had the year wrong at first. It is a 96 not a 97. I don't think it makes to much difference nut maybe???

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
my thinkin' is you need to get that #1 injector out of the hole

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
While I was trying to pull the injector I found that the plug going through the valve cover is burnt. It burnt the valve cover plug and the internal harness. By looking at the plug I think that it is the glow plug portion that burned up and shorted the harness out. At this point I am waiting till monday when I can get parts. I don't know whether to continue to change the injector anyway or jsut change the glow plugs and put back together. I think that the best is to change all involved but trying to save money for the retired gentlement involved.

hntnv

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I installed new glow plugs, internal harness and valve cover gasket and the truck is running good. Thanks for the help.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well I installed new glow plugs, internal harness and valve cover gasket and the truck is running good. Thanks for the help.

you did what I would have done..
so congratulations! You first diagnosis & repair! :clap:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14