New Member 99-7.3 power up problem

bobclue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
two things: i'm not real computer literate and secondly, i do not have the miles under my belt to understand or troubleshoot my diesel.

i moved from AK to northerneastern MN last nov. so contacts are but few.

i depend on my 350 crew cab for transportation, no it is not a sweetened up unit, it used to be a slope truck at Prudhoe, so it has seen some use but is very sound.

replaced the motor in it 30,000 miles ago, injectors, etc.

replaced the computer last summer.

through this past winter no problems starting, it wanged over and kicked in right away with authority.

presently, it does not do that. takes at least twice as long. i've changed fuel filter, oil/filter, air filter and per recommendation of my AK diesel doctor the cam sensor.

with the low sulfur fuels i've always used additive, cetane or 911 in winter.

once started, it doesn't sound like it is strong though it idles smooth, it does not power up though at times when i drive it (as i have no other transportation available) it briefly, couple seconds or more, seems to want to kick up and get with the program. it does not always do this and sometimes not at all.

in transitioning from say 30 to 50 mph going up or coming down it sometimes vibrates and i ease up on pedal and things get to rolling smoother but it is very weak.

i've had two local mechs. look at it; one using hand held analyzer which he said nothing registered, the other using a "snap-on" analyzer and assuming he knew how to use it, nothing was revealed there either.

it is over 2 hr. drive to Duluth where maybe more knowledge in dealing with this problem exists.

are there any suggestions, before i run the risk of driving and not making it to duluth?

thank you for your time and thinking about this.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum.......... :sweet

Here is just one of a few things to look at..............

What oil are you using? It must be diesel rated and have the proper anti foaming additive.

Is their an over abundance of air bubbles on the stick when the oil is hot?

How is the oil level look on the dipstick? Your injectors are driven off the engine oil. If the level is low the HPOP will be sucking air and your injectors will not receive the pressure necessary to operate correctly.

Tbar

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
:welcome1 to the site from Alaska.

You may have two problems rather than one. The starting issue sounds like a glow plug or glow plug relay problem but that would not effect the way it runs after it is warmed up. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

bobclue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm,
Checking fuel pressure, do not have capability to do. But 2 shops here, one who is sort of a diesel fanatic on the side. With so many shops going out of business in the Twin Cities this fellow is purchasing an analyzer with every buzzer and bell and read out possible. He will be using that instead of the handheld. The other folks w/ the "snap-on" analyzer sort of evident they did not know how to read or interpret. I thought maybe the external fuel pump under the driver's side next. Possible turbo problem? As I understand it, the oil pressure drives the injectors, is there a solenoid or something along that vein that tells the oil pump what to do?

Thanks for writing.

bobclue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tbar,
Rotella 15-40
no air bubbles what so ever.
Am thinking external fuel pump under driver side.
Then oil pressure pump sort of on top of motor or something related.
Turbo?
The mech fellow who had the hand held analyzer who is a diesel affectiondo on the side is investing in a very expensive analyzer not the real common small shop ones but one with all the bells and buzzers etc. I've avoided mentioning brand names.
I am still open to suggestions and certainly appreciate the responses as I really want my diesel truck back mainly because its such an outstanding rig though not souped or cherried out. Great power and pretty dang economical everything considered.
Thanks for taking time to think and write on this.

bobclue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
codes: P1271, P1273, P1275

Power up problem, trying to find answers/solutions.

Shop here purchased a "snap-on" analyzer.

Here are the codes it showed:
P1271
P1273
P1275

Can anyone interpret or offer possible solution thoughts. Am assuming the results have to do with pistons 1, 3, and 5 and also assuming they are on the same side of the engine.

Fuel delivery to that side? Pressure pump to that side? Turbo? It started very very well and when starting now obviously not including all cylinders. On a cold start, just "one" white puff of exhaust.

Need to get resolved as depend on rig for transportation. Please give me your thoughts and I appreciate the mental time in your helping figure out.