Help Needed '99 F350 - Tranny Problem

Du510

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I am in need of a little assistance. I've posted around, and so far not getting too far on my research.

Truck is a '99 F350, automatic. Has a 6 position Bullydog, plus a BD Outlook monitor. When I bought the truck, I was told its got a ATS 5star TC, and a Pheonix HD Street/Strip trans. Its definitely got an ATS deep pan with a cooler running up front.

Anyways, when I test drove the truck everything was great, shifted easily, no issues. That was about a 5 min drive. Now that Ive got some time on it, its definitely got a tranny issue, and its getting noticably worse.

It shifts hard from 1st into 2nd. I am talking about so hard that it bucks, slams into gear. It has a tough time getting into OD too, but not as rough.

Any guesses as to what it could be? Trans shot, or could it be much easier than that?

I changed out the VSS already, next gig will be a full flush & filter, and hooking the Outlook up to a trans temp gauge.

One guy mentioned yesterday to look at a broken spring in the 1-2 accumulator; Ill be looking into that too.

Thanks for the thoughts & ideas guys.

;tu

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Check the valve body for dirty or sticking valves.Broken or tangled springs.

Could be the valve body bolts are loose. Check that stuff. Change the fluid and filter.

Go and drive it.;tu

VB torque spec is 80 to 100 Inch LBS.;tu

Du510

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Check the valve body for dirty or sticking valves.Broken or tangled springs.

Could be the valve body bolts are loose. Check that stuff. Change the fluid and filter.

Go and drive it.;tu

VB torque spec is 80 to 100 Inch LBS.;tu

Will do, thanks for that info.

Hey, you're local. ;tu

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i dont know about pheonix trans, but i rode in a SD that had a "beefy" trans in it and the thing slammed around as well. i dont think the trans is shot, but maybe a line pressure adjustment by means of un-shimming the appropriate spring, or perhaps a change in programming/chip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14