'99 OEM spare capacity?

electryc_monk

Gestalt w/mild chaos
Reaction score
Okay folks, I've tried multiple word combo's in search function. Read A LOT of threads of type, size, manufacturing, ride etal. Oddly enough only found two threads talk of the spare tire zone fitment....

A) No data was conclusively shared about the max tire size that will fit the OEM 16" rim in the under belly -aft of axle, in crank up location.

B) I have read at least 3 ref's In threads about 285/75(70?)/16 being the max a stock 4x4 can have with no rubbing on the inside of the wheels

C) my truck is a stock height '99 CC LB SRW 4X4 7.3L w/ZF6 5" straight piped; Currently running 265/75/16E wranglers.

D) I would like to have a matched spare to the 285's it soon will get that will hang nicely in the OEM winched rear zone.

/disengages babble mode, logs off & prep's for sleep.
"Good night y'all."

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Save your money. If the spare is in good condition i wouldn't change it. If you would need to use it the difference in size wouldn't matter for a short run to a tire shop to get a flat repaired/replaced. If you needed to use the spare for a long distance, put it on the front. The spare rim is just a steel wheel (ugly) that won't match the ones on the truck so I'm sure you won't run it far.

electryc_monk

Gestalt w/mild chaos
Reaction score
Thanks but..... (sheepish grin) the spare question is for _when_ the current spare's life is over. And i have changed my Red OEM spare steelie for an extra matching OEM aluminum rim I had from other good fortune over the last decade of mindful self reliance. So, to add to this thought; a local used tire shop I have known & used for over a decade for stuff like spares, boat trailer tires, etal.... heck I have also had them find a set of 305's for me to test on the truck several years ago at a nice price that gave me over 20K miles of a test... so....(shrugs)

Steve_in_29

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the 99 but on my 07 there is room for a 35" tire (305/70-18) in the stock spare location.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64