A/C Freon Questions

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
Now that I've had my 07 PSD for months, I REALLY want to get rid of my 87 Chevy. Now that it's hot outside, the fact that the A/C doesn't work on it seems to be a problem. I know it's a piece of chevy, but the concepts should be the same....

Being an 87 it's got the R12 system, nothing to indicate an upgrade. The compressor works when the switch by the can on the firewall is jumpered (yeah, that's about as technical as it gets w/ the A/C :sorry ...). I think it's the pressure switch??? There is a small amount of visible gas that escapes when I depress the fill valve (looks like a tire fill valve...).

The cheap solution suggested by a used car consignment dealer guy is to fill 'er up with "Freeze 12," that's it. Don't I need to have the system evacuated first:confused: ? Is there compatibility problems between the "Freeze 12" and the R-12, or will they work together? A guy at Pep-Boys said that Freeze 12 makes the system an explosive hazard due to the propane based Freeze 12 product and the mix is toxic waste they won't touch, then told me he could take care of it for $185-500 and upgrade it to R134a. A local A/C shop told me $1200 to repair the system and upgrade to R134a 2 years ago`:eek: .

I'm not too concerned about leaks. I bought the truck 2 1/2 years ago with a piston sticking out of a cylinder (something about running it out of oil :doh: ...), so I don't know how long it sat or when the A/C last worked. I R&R'd the engine in my garage, so I know the A/C system was not abused in the process. But the fact that the compressor still engages when forced and the escaping gas, I think the system should be fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. As you can see, so far the locals have been all over the map!

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Do the fix right and convert it to R-134. Chances are the R-12 has leaked out from dried out o-rings that will need to be replaced when R-134 is introduced into the system. Yes, the system must be evacuated to vacuum and then flushed with alcohol, new seals installed, and then pressure tested. The R-134 is about 15 percent less efficient than R-12.

Stay away from that Freeze 12 unless you like seeing the rocket's red glare on other days besides the 4th of July.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well, as long as you are going to have the system open to flush it, put a variable orifice tube in it. It will lower your duct temps about six or seven degrees.

Don't forget to change the accumulator, too. It's probably waterlogged.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64