A little less peddle...

thelastcion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As I was driving to work this morning, I figured I would run a little experiment.

I wanted to see what kind of fuel management differences I would see if I kept the RPM's closer to 2k.

Keep in mind that I have a ladder rack and 38' extension ladder on the truck, which will obviously lower the mpg and raise the rpm.

Typically I would drive my 450 at about 70 mph (2,500 rpm) and I got about 10.6 mpg.

So this morning I set the cruise at 65 mph (2,100 rpm) and I got about 12.5 mpg.

1.9 mpg gain doesn't seem like a whole lot until you start applying the rest of the numbers to the equation.

Average 750 miles per week.

$2.79 (Avg. Fuel Price in Houston) / 10.6 mph = $0.27 per mile

$0.27 x 750 = $202.50 per week

$202.50 x 52 (weeks in a year) = $10,530.00

or

$2.79 per gal / 12.5 mph = $0.23 per mile

$0.23 x 750 = $172.50

$172.50 x 52 = $8,970.00

Resulting in:

$202.50 - $172.50 = $30.00 savings per week.

$10,530.00 - $8,790.00 = $1,740.00 savings per year

Of course all of my numbers are based on low idle times and minimal city driving. Which for any of you who live or have traveled to Houston know that this is not always the case.

What I learned while doing this little experiment, is that I need to get a tuner put on this thing and see much better savings and that I don't like driving 65...:dizzy

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering

One of your other post says you have a tuner for your truck, don;t understand what your getting at about tuners ?????

thelastcion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
One of your other post says you have a tuner for your truck, don;t understand what your getting at about tuners ?????

I had a bully dog tripple dog for my 07' 6.0, and wanted to know how it would work on my 6.4. The concensious that I keep hearing is that the best product for the 6.4 is a Spartan and that the bully dog will cause me more problems than it's worth (i.e. void all warranties and potentially cause me 15k in repairs).

So in this post I was simply tyrying to say something about fuel management.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bully dog tripple dog for my 07' 6.0, and wanted to know how it would work on my 6.4. The concensious that I keep hearing is that the best product for the 6.4 is a Spartan and that the bully dog will cause me more problems than it's worth (i.e. void all warranties and potentially cause me 15k in repairs).

So in this post I was simply tyrying to say something about fuel management.

... More to be said about Fuel Management.. and Tuners (Fuel Mapping)?

A Case in Point ?

When we bought our 07 Tracker (4.6), according to the Lie O meter, it would get, 15/16 mpg, 'round town, me or the wife driving. I re-tuned it with a Hyper-Tech "Maxi".. it improved to 17/18 with the wife driving.. I can easily get 18/19, 'round town.

She has to be First.. at the next Light...... I don't care.

It's ALL about.. A Little Less Peddle... and a Tuner... I think.

Last edited:

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn;t understand

I just picked up my new F450 last night and would like to install my Bully Dog Triple Dog.

Shold I wait until I put more miles on the truck? Or would it be ok to install it at anytime? ______________

When you said you picked up your truck you must have been excited thinking that a tuner for the 6.0 would work on the 6.4. I too have not done any mods to my 08 yet. It will happen, just not yet. and I know what you mean with the milage, changes a bit, at 60mph I can average 19mpg or better, but at 70 + mph it drops about 2 mpg. Didn't do that good when I first bought the truck, complained to my service guy and he said he had a few updates for the truck,got more power and around 2mpg's better. Guess I should go back and see whats new.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr