Help Needed ABS light and Cruise control

jamzin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
While on long trips, 5-600 miles the abs light suddenly comes on and the cruise goes into coast mode. The cruise will reset speed ok but the abs light doesn't go off until the truck sits overnight. The abs light doesn't come on unless these circumstances are repeated. I have no trouble with the brakes either. I checked for codes and there are not any.
On one occasion, the fuel guage seemed stuck on empty after filling tank. It very slowly crept up to full in about 30 minutes of driving. This has never repeated.
Any thought or suggestion are appreciated

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the ABS ~ Cruise Control issue ? Replacing the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) would be the first thing to try. It's located on the top of the rear differential. It gets fouled and weak with time & miles. 20 minute R&R.

The fuel gauge ? If it only happend once.. just keep an eye on it ? (cleaned the battery cable clamps latley?)

Joe

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet both of those sensors are on the same wiring harness. Might be something to check out, not sure if thare are any frame grounding points in the rear? My truck has kicked the abs light on a couple times, also on long trips. As soon as I stopped for 10-20 minutes, shut off the truck, then restart the light would go out, sometimes I had to get a mile or so down the road but it will always turn off. I have a theory that my sensor is partially failed, and has become sensitive to differential temp. The diff definitely gets a lot hotter on long highway stints, and that is the only time it acts up.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet both of those sensors are on the same wiring harness. Might be something to check out, not sure if thare are any frame grounding points in the rear? My truck has kicked the abs light on a couple times, also on long trips. As soon as I stopped for 10-20 minutes, shut off the truck, then restart the light would go out, sometimes I had to get a mile or so down the road but it will always turn off. I have a theory that my sensor is partially failed, and has become sensitive to differential temp. The diff definitely gets a lot hotter on long highway stints, and that is the only time it acts up.

;tu Those magnetic VSS's can get weak after time and miles, and they can also get fouled with gear dust (from normal wear).

A good rear dif. flush/re-lube, and a new VSS usually fixes the issue, in my exsperiences anywayz.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64