AC Shore Power Plug For Block Heater

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kinds of mods or plugs (pictures would be great) have people done to simplify and/clean up their block heater plug connection?

I have seen some people (just can't remember where) that placed a plug either behind a fold down license plate bracket on their front end or used a shore power plug in their lower air dam below their frnt bumper.

Are these the same thing used by ambulance and fire trucks?

Does anyone have pics to post or in their gallery?

Thanks,

Reaction score
I have a couple pictures of mine in my gallery - under exterior pictures. What I did was to take a brand new 12 gauge extension cord and plug it into the block heater cord. I applied some connection grease to it first. Then took 3M waterproof rubber tape and sealed the hell out of it. Ran it along the frame to the rear bumper. Removed one of my plate lights and installed a Marinco plug. Made the connection from the cord to the plug and again greased it up, siliconed it all and then applied some more rubber tape.

Now I always back my truck in the driveway - and this connection has been tested for pull out. Meaning that if'n I forget to unplug it - it will jerk free with no damage.

Ron

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the block heater pulls around 1,000 to 1,200 volts.

Is this plug capable of that (is there a voltage or amp issue I need to be aware of)? What is the proper extension cord size I should use... isn't heavier better as not to overheat or melt when on for extended periods?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:

Is this plug capable of that (is there a voltage or amp issue I need to be aware of)? What is the proper extension cord size I should use... isn't heavier better as not to overheat or melt when on for extended periods?

Thanks,

I've left mine plugged in for over 24 hours - no overheating or anything. A 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord should be plenty. Mine is on a 15 amp circuit.

Ron

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the AC/Charger plug from www.boatfix.com yesterday evening.

Here is the plug I bought:
http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php?loadItem=150BBI_Marinco Shore Power

Must be careful and get the 150BBI and not the 200BBI. According to Marinco, the 200BBI has a different plug for 20amp service, where as the 150BBI has the traditional 2-staright plug for an ordinary extension cord to plug into.

Now off to Home Depot for a small 20 amp extension cord that I can cut or make into a pig-tail to plug into the block heater plug and into the back of my new MArinco plug..... darn, another reason to go to Home Depot!!!!

Thanks for the help.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Beachbumcook said:

Thanks,

we would be cooking some turkies with that voltage
pulls about 1250 watts plus or minus
i dont think the 6.0 one is as hot as the 7.3 was, but i could be completey full of it.;)

i use a heavy out dooor cord 12 gauge wire,
the only abuse it got was getting JERKED off the truck one morning
:D

i like thecolor of your EX... somehow it looks familiar

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Volts.... Watts..... what do I know????

You are correct... 1,000 - 1,200 watts!!!

Yes, great color.... good looking truck you have.... guess we both have good taste... in trucks anyway?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58