Adding clearance lights?

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know many of you have done it, just looking for some input. Is there a company that sells a complete kit with all the lights and mountng hardware? Also, does anyone make a "template" to help position them on the cab in the right place? Im not totally dcided that I want to put them on, but just exploring my options. Any input is appreciated!

Scott

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I've never seen a Ford "kit" with a template. I just recently put the clearance lamps on mine following the write up on Motoman's site that was linked above. If this kit w/ template exist, please show us where.

Reaction score
i went and ordered a flush mount satelite antenna for when i do my clearance lights. Whats another 2 holes when yer up there already.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being the cheapskate that I am, I bought my clearance lights through Cabela's (about $50) and just made my own wiring harness. Drilling the holes made for some tense moments and I'll bet I measured 10 times before drilling the first one. I used a silicon sealant in the holes around the wires just in case the gaskets didn't seal well. Then I soldered the connections so I wouldn't have to worry about any of the joints coming apart in the headliner. I've had them mounted for about 2 1/2 years now and no problems.

Notice anything unusual about the clearance lamps I used? :sly

IMG_4100.jpg

PHXF250

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
Installing Roof Clearance Lights

I plan on adding these to my 99 F250 myself. I have bookmarked Motomans technique, and some others online. I checked with two different Ford dealers about the parts and they are about $150 for 5 Lights, the Harness, and 10 nutserts to mount the lights. These prices seem higher than I've read some of the other guys paid. I suppose some paid Wholesale price.

I also went to Home Depot and checked out their rental truck F350 clearance lights for a reference. the center 3 lights are 8in apart, and the outer ones are 13more in out. (Just like the way Motoman did it.) The front of the lights are 3.5in from the front of the windshield and follow the curve at the top of the windshield moulding. I'm gonna use a Uni Step bit for the holes. I have used one to install Sirrus Radio antennas at dealerships and like the nice clean holes you get with them.

I will probably post some photos when I'm done. I wish someone would post some photos of the plug found in the passenger foot well area. I will photo this plug when I do mine.

Also the two different Ford parts Dept's coulden't find a complete kit for these lights, does anyone know of a Part No. for the Ford Kit? They only listed the parts individualy. (They probably can charge me more this way) Thank's in advance.
PHX F250.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your measurements sound about right. If you are off by a bit, nobody will notice. The spacing is the key. There indications inside the roof to help you. It is easier than you suspect.

Dave

PHXF250

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
Funny thing, My Girlfriend and I were driving around town about a week ago and she spotted some evenly spaced Cab Lights on a 2000 ish F250. I drove slow so the truck would catch up to mine and they were indeed evenly spaced and in a straight line instead of following the curve of the windshield. Also the lights were a bit longer and skinnier than factory lights.

Later that week I went into harbor freight to look around and they have a set of Cab lights with a harness for $30 that looked like the ones we seen.

Daves lights, and Motomans seem correct in postion and close enough for me, the ones I seen mentioned above were off enough to make even My Girlfriend notice driving by him turning right at 45mph. :CRAZY
PHX F250

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64