Advice on new truck and tuners

archermatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a new 08 F-250 this week to replace my 06 that was stolen. Wondering if you some of you could give me some advice.

1) Is it worth it to buy an 08 or try and find an 07 or earlier model? I can get a smokin deal on an 08 right now, but after reading some of the issues with the 6.4L I'm a bit worried.

2) Is there a tuner out there that can't be seen by the dealer if returned back to stock configuration?

I appreciate all the encouragement you guys gave me about my stolen truck. I've come to the conclusion some jack@$$ is either pulling the engine as we speak or shipping it overseas for some lucky new owner, so I'm trying to figure out what to do now.

Matt

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Matt,

First diesel i've owned, 08 6.4L. I love it. First of all, I am the type of person that will never chip a diesel (or gasser for that matter) unless I either had a lot of engine AND transmission work done before hand, or had a seperate bank account just for repairs down the road, because they are expensive, and will come about. If you are looking to chip whatever you get, I hope you got a lot of money to spend on top of the purchase of the just the truck. A buddy of mine chipped his 6.4 with no added protection and blew the heads. I'm not sure why you want to chip it, but let me make a suggestion. 6.0 - Intake & Exhaust will up power and mielage, those parts are readily available. 6.4 - I plan to eliminate the dpf filter around the time the warranty is up, mielage i hear goes to around 20. Intakes and FULL exhaust systems are not as readily available plus they are expensive, they will come near the end of the warranty period as well.

If you plan to chip it and harden up the rest of the power plant and drivetrain, i would go with an 06 or 07 6.0 since that engine has been tampered with and tested for a long time now. I can only imagine that the aftermarket world for the 6.4 is maybe now, starting to come up with some good products but will improve even more as time goes on.

Best of luck with your choice

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
how can you take the dpf off without reprogramming the PCM via chip or programmer?

i dont know much about chips and tuners available for the 6.4. for the 6.0 there are tons of options, but i am partial to SCT.

as for wich truck to buy.......i wouldnt be afraid to pick up a 6.4. the money end of things should be your deciding factor, especially today with the sad market.

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You DO in fact have to have a programmer to eliminate the DPF. That is true, I guess I was referring to "chips and programmers" assuming that they are bought for performance usage. There is a chip they sell that will eliminate the regeneration cycle ONLY and will not touch your power curve (from what i understand).

Either engine would be a good choice, i guess i was just getting at if you want to play around with it the 6.0 has more options to do so than the 6.4 CUREENTLY.

Rusty74

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That sucks, my truck was stolen and then they burned it to the ground last June. I have a 08 F-350 and also got a good deal, this engine has alot of power and the trany with the brake controler is a good combo. This engine is too new to throw money at untill we find out what proven products work and wont harm the warranty. Fuel mileage is about 2mpg less than my old 01 7.3, about 8-11 towing (5W & boat), 13-15 in town and 15-18 highway. I would sudgest finding a 07 6.0 or a clean 2001 - 2003 7.3 if you want to turn them up.

archermatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ended up with a new 08 KR! Couldn't pass up the deal. I think you are right, I am going to hold off on any performance stuff, now just looking at a mild lift/ leveling kit for hunting season.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Stay away form the programmers and tuners until they have been out for a while. There is NO programmer or tuner that is totally hidden from Ford when they want to look at your truck. This is a warranty issue. Wait.

Dave

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i got a tuner i return to stock whenever i take it to the dealer , i have to agree with dave if they really want a root cause they will get one then your screwed , Patience is what you need....... see what comes out by mid next year

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64