Help Needed After driving my F250 460 smell just same as gas fumes

Charlse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have F250 460 and it is running great. When there is cold outside, basically it fires up immediately.

Though, when it is idling, you can heavily feel a smell of gas fumes.

Friend following me home once I purchased it, after sitting back a 200 yards they whispered that like they are passing through fumes. Once I get out, even I smell of gas fumes.

The F250 460 exhaust has been cut right at the back muffler might be allowing fumes in though the floor board AC holes I guess.

I have never messed with carburetors, as it is running pretty good; I disgust to fiddle a lot. Anyone else had declared vacuum lines can be a problem.

There are two of these switches of vacuum that have no attached hoses. In my earlier post (http://www.superdutydiesel.com/thre...e-quick-help-planning-to-buy-1975-f150.31489/) I really got some wonderful suggestions. If you are knowledgeable about this problem too, any assistance will be appreciated.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cut exhaust could be letting the fumes into the cab. It could also be a bad gasket somewhere. The only way to figure that out is to inspect the exhaust.

As for smelling the fumes 200 yards back, that's pretty bad. I'd pull the plugs and make sure they're good. But my guess is going to be the carb needs to be dialed in. They probably dropped it on and went. Do you have a vacuum gauge and timing light? Do you know if it has points or electronic ignition?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have F250 460 and it is running great. When there is cold outside, basically it fires up immediately.

Though, when it is idling, you can heavily feel a smell of gas fumes.

Friend following me home once I purchased it, after sitting back a 200 yards they whispered that like they are passing through fumes. Once I get out, even I smell of gas fumes.

The F250 460 exhaust has been cut right at the back muffler might be allowing fumes in though the floor board AC holes I guess.

I have never messed with carburetors, as it is running pretty good; I disgust to fiddle a lot. Anyone else had declared vacuum lines can be a problem.

There are two of these switches of vacuum that have no attached hoses. In my earlier post (http://www.superdutydiesel.com/thre...e-quick-help-planning-to-buy-1975-f150.31489/) I really got some wonderful suggestions. If you are knowledgeable about this problem too, any assistance will be appreciated.
I'm a big fan of carburetor motors. If it smells like raw gas take a look at the carb. Is it wet with gas on the fuel bowls? 460s were famous for running Holley carbs. On occasion the shot pump diaphrams would dry rot and start leaking. This is a simple fix! A leaking shot pump has no effect on idle or the way the truck would perform, just the bad smell of raw gas, excessive fuel loss, and big risk of setting the truck on fire.

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I read your earlier post also. The coolant level in the radiator will cause them to overflow sometimes. Since the truck was clearly not overheated per your check with the temp gum you should check the coolant level. I've had many of those old trucks. The coolant needs room to expand so the level needs to be about an inch over the cores inside. Never fill it up close to the neck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64