Alternator Upgrade

John Hagen

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F-350 6.7 Dually 4x4 that tows an 18K 5th wheel. The truck now has 146k miles on it and I have never changed out the alternator. I am thinking of doing it as preventative maintenance next week. I have a stock alternator and would like to upgrade to a higher amperage unit. Any suggestions? If I get the OEM HD Alternator, is it plug and play? Same wiring harness, mounts, belt, and pulley?

Also plan on changing both water pumps, hoses, glow plugs, idler and tensioner pulleys along with the belt. Any other suggestions on what to change? All components are original to the truck having lasted 146k miles thus far.

I know if it is not broke don't fix it but we do a lot of boondocking (in the desert) and can't have the truck breajing down in the middle of nowhere when I can do things to prevent it.

Thanks!

John

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I changed the factory alternator at 165k miles, it was overcharging. You might check on the alternator that they use on ambulance or firetruck applications if you want a high output one.

william maynard

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F-350 6.7 Dually 4x4 that tows an 18K 5th wheel. The truck now has 146k miles on it and I have never changed out the alternator. I am thinking of doing it as preventative maintenance next week. I have a stock alternator and would like to upgrade to a higher amperage unit. Any suggestions? If I get the OEM HD Alternator, is it plug and play? Same wiring harness, mounts, belt, and pulley?

Also plan on changing both water pumps, hoses, glow plugs, idler and tensioner pulleys along with the belt. Any other suggestions on what to change? All components are original to the truck having lasted 146k miles thus far.

I know if it is not broke don't fix it but we do a lot of boondocking (in the desert) and can't have the truck breajing down in the middle of nowhere when I can do things to prevent it.

Thanks!

John
I had my alternator go out on my E350 and it turns out that there is a large case vs small case issue on these alternators the later ones being smaller case I think they call it a 3C but there's a larger case called 6a something case using the same pulley and I was able to get two hundred amp alternator fits the same bolt pattern for a hundred and twenty bucks using the same police eyes put out 170 amps at idle all I needed to do was get one screw 1/4 inch longer if you're interested sopan7986@gmail

Better soldering heavy or diodes much better board the OEM ones tend to break the solder joints due to vibration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58