Question Aluminum wheel "corrosion"

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of us who live in the midwest are used to complaining about the effect road salt has on our aluminum wheels - particularly around the wheel weights. My 1999 Super Duty is a prime example with peeling clearcoat and severe pitting. Since I am somewhat of a purist, I would really like to keep the original factory rims and not replace them with some aftermarket version. Unfortunately I have yet to find a way to restore them. Any ideas???

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Agreed! All the aluminum wheels on all my vehicles are pitting and clear coat pealing. Just somethin you get used to. I will be powder coating mine eventually. My gf has some Dick Cepek wheels on her super duty and they look terrible. Not to mention it wont hold air. dont know if its a defect in the wheel or what but its got a hair line crack on the back side of it. The back side has no more clear coating on it. Doesnt look like the wheel has been abused except for our crappy winters where we dump so much salt on the roads.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same peeling clearcoat issues last year. I sanded the rims smooth, recoat with paint, and reclearcoat.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64