Aluminum Wheels

nmu1974

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My wife drove with one underinflated tire, evidentally she hit a pot hole, and cracked the wheel. (Not that there was a flashing light on the dash saying, "Low tire pressure". She just feels that she can ignore these as, "All of those guages and lights and things are just there so something will break and you have to take it back to the dealer"). This is a small 1" long crack along where the tires bead seats. Do you think it is possible to have it welded? Will it hold air and not re-fracture? I hope so because a new wheel is about $400.00. Any suggestions? Thanks.

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife drove with one underinflated tire, evidentally she hit a pot hole, and cracked the wheel. (Not that there was a flashing light on the dash saying, "Low tire pressure". She just feels that she can ignore these as, "All of those guages and lights and things are just there so something will break and you have to take it back to the dealer"). This is a small 1" long crack along where the tires bead seats. Do you think it is possible to have it welded? Will it hold air and not re-fracture? I hope so because a new wheel is about $400.00. Any suggestions? Thanks.
A guy I work with had a similar issue with Mercedes aluminum wheel (he was "over-served"). He got it fixed locally, but it wasn't cheap. It came out PERFECT, but it cost over $200. Any good weld should be stronger than the parts joined (as least in steel)> Good luck...joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64