Amateur radio/scanner stuff...

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is sort-of a long post, so bear with me:

Since I don't have enough expensive hobbies already, I've been kicking around the idea of getting into amateur radio. Mostly I was thinking about a mobile setup for hard-mounting in my truck vs. a base station since I'm not home a whole lot and the mobile setup would probably see more use. Here's a list of questions, I've got:

Suppose I get my Technician license since IIRC that's the most basic, easiest to get license where should I go to start learning about this stuff? Is there a radio chassis out there that combines CB/SSB channels (I use them a bit on the road), NOAA weather band reception (I REALLY like that service), and 10 meter capability in one box (big as my CC PSD is, I'm a little bit short on room for accessory mounting)?

Is 10 meter the next step up from the CB channels or is 2 meter that next step?

If I get a CB/SSB/10 meter radio and am willing to accept a modest compromise in performance for simplicity's sake, could I run one antenna or would I have to use separate antennas?

Do you have any recommendations about particular manufacturers to look at (both radio and antenna)?

Currently I'm using a RadioShack through-the-glass antenna when I've got my Uniden BC-296D scanner in the truck and it works well, but sometimes I've noticed that transmissions from out-of-town get broken off (State HP, sheriff's offices, etc...) and I was wondering if a different antenna might help. Could I maybe use the same antenna from a CB rig or do I need a specialized unit?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, first off.

Tech class is the lowest and easiest. No CODE required. However, without the code, your limited to the higher bands, so no 10m or lower. You can listen, but not talk.

CB: Aint happening. At least not legally. The FCC has an axe to grind against the CB channels, and they do NOT allow HAM radios to be operated on CB bands. Its called TYPE ACCEPTANCE and there are no TYPE ACCEPTED ham radios.

Now, can it be done? absolutely. Icom 706IImkG is a VERY small, mobile radio that will do pretty much every popular band from 6m to 70cm. Including CB. Its not legal, but it will do it. You need to do some modifications tho.

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/706mkIIg/ is the ICOM page for the 706 series radio.

You need a specific antenna for each "band" you want to chat on. Since it sounds like your not real familiar with radios and RF, the "technician" test will bring you up to speed on the basics of radio and antennas.

Just the act of studying for the test and taking it will answer alot of your own questions.

Do IT!

I've had my ticket since I was 16, so 12 years now.

KC7ERF

CHPMustang

Reaction score
There's several of us that's involved in Amateur Radio at various levels so you're bound to get mucho info :)

To get started you'll want a book called Now You're Talking which many of has used to get our licenses.
To communicate on 10 meters that'll require a General Class license which you'll need to take the 5 words per minute test in conjuction with the General written so if you have the time to study you can have that in no time :)

I haven't seen any 10/11 meter mobile radios with the Weather channels but I may have overlooked em ;)
The 10 meter band is just under the 11 meter CB band window then it's upwards from there to 6 meters,2 meters,70 centimeters and so on :cool:

Sure you can run one antenna for 10 meter/CB/SSB,I highly recommend the Wilson 1000 or Wilson 5000 antenna,we just installed one on Tbar's rig a couple weekends ago and he'll be able to give his take :thumbs

For a new 10 meter/CB mobile the popular makes are RCI/Ranger & Galaxy currently,antenna recommendation I'll stick with Wilson but there'sa couple other makes that'll do just 10 meters.

For your scanner antenna I recommend a magnet mount or better yet a roof mount(if you don't mind a 3/4" hole)for the best overall performance.Now depending on what frequency bands you listen to the most you can either purchase a multiband or mono band antenna.

On the glass antennas will receive to a certain distance okay but for long range you're gonna want to have the antenna directly cable connected to your radio to have minimal signal dropouts :sweet

Bill

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
For your scanner antenna I recommend a magnet mount or better yet a roof mount(if you don't mind a 3/4" hole)for the best overall performance.Now depending on what frequency bands you listen to the most you can either purchase a multiband or mono band antenna.

I am REALLY leery of drilling holes in my truck so a magnet mount would do the trick.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Now, can it be done? absolutely. Icom 706IImkG is a VERY small, mobile radio that will do pretty much every popular band from 6m to 70cm. Including CB. Its not legal, but it will do it. You need to do some modifications tho.

Do IT!

I've had my ticket since I was 16, so 12 years now.

KC7ERF
Oh I forgot to ask jvencius what his budget is especially if he's interested in the MKIIG,I'd need to seel a few radios to afford that puppy ;)

Had my license since January 2000 but have been in the CB/Scanner hobby since 1977 :)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
jvencius said:
I am REALLY leery of drilling holes in my truck so a magnet mount would do the trick.
Yeah many feel that way so no worries as a magnet mount or even no hole trunk lip/fender lip mounts will perform well :sweet

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Oh I forgot to ask jvencius what his budget is especially if he's interested in the MKIIG,I'd need to seel a few radios to afford that puppy ;)

I fell into one. Brand new, in box, never been opened. 600 bucks. Couldnt pass it up. Guy at work bought it from a silent key deal or something and never used it. (silent key is a dead ham)

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:

Had my license since January 2000 but have been in the CB/Scanner hobby since 1977 :)

I'm not sure yet, since I jsut started seriously researching this topic. Iffn' I had to guess, I'd say ~$400-$500 for radio, antenna, and cable but that's an WAG of a figure...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
jvencius said:
I'm not sure yet, since I jsut started seriously researching this topic. Iffn' I had to guess, I'd say ~$400-$500 for radio, antenna, and cable but that's an WAG of a figure...
For a new radio with more bells/whistles and a excellent antenna configuration that number looks pretty good :thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64