are the 2004,2005 ,5 speed or 6

Jim up north

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey folks , I was wondering if anyone out there has information on how well the manual transmission on their diesel are? I have a F-350 automatic crewcab an I may want to change it for a F-250 King cab. For I find that the 350 drinks just a little to much fuel , I was wondering if I went to a 250 k-cab would my fuel consumption go down? I am not heavy footed but I do about 180k a day , back an forth to town. Any input would be nice.
Thanks Jim:thanks

bigtrxs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jim i have an 03 2 wheel dr. with 3.73 rear and a 6 spd. I have 251000 on the clock and the trany is still going strong.I pull a 40ft gooseneck and it pulls great.The only thing I have done is change my oil about avery 50k and i replaced the clutch once.
I get about 10-11 mpg on mine with the trailer and 14-15 with no trailer.Your truck might drink to much fuel due to the 4x4 and the 4.10 gears??
Thats just my guess!

Jim up north

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What is a blackstone report?

I am currently using 15-40 castrol tection CI-4 oil. I was using the motorcraft
15-40 before, but was able to get the same quantity of the castrol from another Ford dealer for a little less . I know the motorcraft is a semi-syn or is it, could that be the difference?. For in the winter I use the 10-30 from Ford.
I know some one will mention other types of oils to use, the draw back is that in Canada a lot the these products are not common place. So to order them across the border is not feasible. Before when I first had the truck I would get for 900km (559 miles) on about 148 litres (38 gallons) . I am primarily on the highway . Do you change the air filter once a year?, or do go by what the filter minder indicates. I don't trust it too much for when I bought the truck it was only 1/4 of the way , and yet the there was almost 1/2 cup of sand in it. Truck came from out west of Canada.
Sorry I think I was a little too long winded on this one.
Jim:thanks

Last edited:

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
My question was directed toward bigtrxs because he said he changes his oil every 50,000 miles. Now either that is a typo or he knows something I don't.

Blackstone Laboratories - Diesel Engines - Blackstone Labs does oil analysis. After say 5,000 miles you can send in a sample of your engine oil and they will send you a report back giving a breakdown of the oil. Letting you know the condition of your engine and the condition of the oil. They may even recommend that you try and go 6,000 miles between oil changes which may save you money in the long run.

Sorry i dont have any suggestion for how to improve your fuel milage.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
figuring mine manually, not the truck computer, I get between 16-18 mpg ALL the time. I aint complaining, since the truck's physical size is so big. My bro-n-law has an '01 7.3 auto and 4x4 and is getting about the same as me...:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58