Arlington Clean Air Program

Reaction score
I was reading where Arlington has started a clean air program and setup a hotline for drivers to call in and "tell" on vehicles that produce smoke or "poor emissions". In going through some FAQs on a related site, I found this for all of us diesel drivers:

Q: I have a diesel. Why was I reported?

A: Many diesels, even when properly maintained, have slight smoke emissions. Proper maintenance of your vehicle will greatly decrease smoke emissions and increase engine efficiency. However, the Texas Transportation Code states:

Sec. 547.605. EMISSION SYSTEMS REQUIRED.

1. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive smoke or fumes.
2. A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, shall be equipped to prevent the discharge of crankcase emissions into the ambient atmosphere.
3. The owner or operator of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, that is equipped with an exhaust emission system:
1. Shall maintain the system in good working condition;
2. shall use the system when the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated; and
3. may not remove the system or a part of the system or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions.
4. Except when travel conditions require the downshifting or use of lower gears to maintain reasonable momentum, a person commits an offense if the person operates, or as an owner knowingly permits another person to operate, a vehicle that emits:
1. visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer; or
2. visible smoke that remains suspended in the air for 10 seconds or longer before fully dissipating.
5. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1 and not more than $350 for each violation. If a person has previously been convicted of an offense under this section, an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000 for each violation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1075, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

RSVP FAQs - NCTCOG.org

Just something to be aware of I guess.-popcorn

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
2. visible smoke that remains suspended in the air for 10 seconds or longer before fully dissipating.

:innocent :innocent :innocent

Tbar

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice & subjective...just like the way politician like it....lots of wiggle room
in that one...itll be nearly impossible to enforce !

Last edited:

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Yea,

They dont' enforce it.

If they did, we would all be in trouble :sweet

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I wouldnt count on lack of enforcement. That could be an expensive mistake and only takes one over-zealous enforcement person.

Just another fyi along this same line - TX Clean Air Act makes removal of a cat punishable by $25,000. One call could lead to discovery of that too.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the problem is peter the installment of cats are hit and miss...even MID YEAR,
much less Year 2 Year.

and i dont think the removal of a cat is limited just to TEXAS...

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
there is a sticker on the engine that indicates whether there was a cat installed and probably indicated elsewhere. It's just an argument I don't want to have to make. Win or lose, it wont be cheap.

You are right, it isn't limited to TX. I just mentioned that because I am familiar with ours in particular.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64