Auto Hub problem?

f350bob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all; new here but have owned 4 superdutys. Recently my newest 2015 F350 King 4x4 had trouble going into 4 High. Shift delay with wrench picture on display. I have 20K miles on her so she stays clean and used 4high maybe 1x this summer. Now it seems to make a "clink" when I brake and then I hear a high pitched whine as I slow down from 30 to zero. This front end noise goes away if while going 20mph I shift to neutral and engage 4high. Why does this somehow relate to braking? I seems not using 4x4 during the summer makes the system work poorly now. I feel its likely a hub seized but with no warranty left, need some advice.
thanks for reading, bob

rocketvette95

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds as if the transfer case is not engaging fully and that is where the whine comes from. The brakes really have nothing to do with it unless you are trying to go to 4wd low.
Have you tried engaging 4wd at a full standstill. Is at a stand still if you engage and then start going does it still whine?
You might have a transfer case actuator going bad or somehow it is not clocked correctly

f350bob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks rocketvette95, well after looking at this I got out and grabbed the front drive shaft and it was locked even when I had the hubs on auto and in 2 wheel drive. I did about 10 engagements in the driveway, 4 high then low then high and 2 wheel. It was better after several tries. I backed up and in 2 wheel drove off only to hear a whine in the front right wheel (i think). I put her in neutral, engaged 4 high and the whine stopped. Its not returned so sunday I sprayed some high quality penetrating oil into the hub as I think one of the seals is not holding. I'll try driving her around in a day and touch base.
From what i read the whine is the hub not fully engaged but the relationship with the braking and hearing this all of a sudden is very strange maybe just the stars lined up these few times. bob

f350bob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If one of my hubs is bad and not fully releasing, would this make the whine and would this show a "check 4x4" pop up on the dash? thanks bob

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64