Auxilary power Question

Patchesandfoxy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My friend asked me how to install power to his slip tank. Apparently there are 4 auxilary power under the hood of his 05 F350 Lariat w/6.0ltr engine. He says there is no posts to put wiring to this 4 auxilaries.

My question is, where can he wire the positive and negative wires on this truck to have power to slip tank.?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend asked me how to install power to his slip tank. Apparently there are 4 auxilary power under the hood of his 05 F350 Lariat w/6.0ltr engine. He says there is no posts to put wiring to this 4 auxilaries.

My question is, where can he wire the positive and negative wires on this truck to have power to slip tank.?

You can ground the - cable anywhere that is attached to the frame with a bolt or screw. I like to run my + off the batt's, with an inline fuse, into the cab on a toggle switch...then onto whatever it is I'm wanting to get power to. I have seen some people jam a + wire in with one leg of the fuse too. If you/he does a toggle switch, make sure it is rated for the load required. Thats the way my gauges, back-up lights, and 800w inverter is wired up.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Apparently there are 4 auxilary power under the hood of his 05 F350 Lariat w/6.0ltr engine.

Yes, that is correct. They are referred to as "Upfitter circuits". The wiring is in place between the dash and under the hood.

If you search for "Upfitter" or "upfitter switches" you will find lots of info on their location and use.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has four wires already running through the firewall to use with your upfitter switches. They come out of the wiring bundle near the brake master cylinder in the engine compartment and are blunt-ended under the dash (behind the fuse panel) and labled as customer access wiring. When you're hooking something up outside the cab you can tie the under-dash wires to any of the 4 upfitter wires coming off the back of the fuse block to get them to the outside without having to make new holes or figure out where to run the wires. Works really slick. I've used mine to wire aux driving lights, aux back-up lights and the high idle mod. Switch one and two are rated for 30 amps and three and four are 10 amps. The wires are sized accordingly. Hope this helps.

From the SDD WIKI:

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/wiki/images/chart1.jpg

All this info and add'l pics located in the WIKI. Follow this thread:

TikiWiki : Upfitter Switch Kit

There is no need to drill through the firewall to wire accessories to the outside. Ford has provided four 14-gauge wires that lead from the passenger compartment to the outside of the cab. They are located in a bundle behind the fuse panel above the parking brake. There will be a tape marked “CUSTOMER ACCESS” around this wire bundle. There will be 11 wires total in the harness. The other wires are used to control such options as power-take-off (PTO) and provide additional feedback instrumentation. See the illustration below:

These pass-through wires terminate in the engine compartment in front of the cowl on the driver’s side, behind the brake master cylinder. Any wiring attached to these blunt cut wires should be made with moisture-resistant connections, and the wiring should be of an heat resistant type with polypropylene insulation per Ford recommendation. Ensure that the wiring is kept well away from the heat sources of the engine and turbocharger.

They are identified as follows:

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/wiki/images/chart2.jpg

Last edited:

Patchesandfoxy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford has four wires already running through the firewall to use with your upfitter switches. They come out of the wiring bundle near the brake master cylinder in the engine compartment and are blunt-ended under the dash (behind the fuse panel) and labled as customer access wiring. When you're hooking something up outside the cab you can tie the under-dash wires to any of the 4 upfitter wires coming off the back of the fuse block to get them to the outside without having to make new holes or figure out where to run the wires. Works really slick. I've used mine to wire aux driving lights, aux back-up lights and the high idle mod. Switch one and two are rated for 30 amps and three and four are 10 amps. The wires are sized accordingly. Hope this helps.

From the SDD WIKI:

There is no need to drill through the firewall to wire accessories to the outside. Ford has provided four 14-gauge wires that lead from the passenger compartment to the outside of the cab. They are located in a bundle behind the fuse panel above the parking brake. There will be a tape marked “CUSTOMER ACCESS” around this wire bundle. There will be 11 wires total in the harness. The other wires are used to control such options as power-take-off (PTO) and provide additional feedback instrumentation. See the illustration below:

These pass-through wires terminate in the engine compartment in front of the cowl on the driver’s side, behind the brake master cylinder. Any wiring attached to these blunt cut wires should be made with moisture-resistant connections, and the wiring should be of an heat resistant type with polypropylene insulation per Ford recommendation. Ensure that the wiring is kept well away from the heat sources of the engine and turbocharger.

That certainly helps the most. I would rather wire this way than +to battery and then to switch and -to ground. Thanks you so much.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From the SDD WIKI:

Ahh--haaaa...thats what those wires are for. Great to know;tu I have to more stuff to add in the future:stir I'll tie into this wiring for those projects

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58