Axle Seal?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trav and I were looking at the truck last night, sizing up what we need to do, to replace the water pump. While we were under there, he noticed on the front axle, there is a rubber ring that is on the diff side of the ujoint that seems to be loose. It is not leaking. Any idea what this thing is. I do not see anything out of the ordinary, but it doesn't seem right either.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is the dust shield. Just beat it back in. It sorta keeps the rocks (small ones) and dust out.

Dave

Scot

;()
Reaction score
That would be a dust seal. If the outer portion is what is loose, no amount of beating will save it. These are VERY tight from the factory and don't last long for lots of people. The seal is actually pressed on to the 1/2 shaft from the diff side. So the shaft has to come out to replace it. The other half is probably separated and still attached to the shaft. If you don't spend lots of time in the mud or submerging the front end your probably OK until you need ball joints or some other front end work. Mine were bad for 60K before I got around to it. Remember, there is another set of seals by the diff.

On edit: you have a 03 so the tightness from the factory doesn't apply. but I believe the rest does.

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i assume this is what you are referring too!!!!!!!!!

the guys are exactly right...

Yep, that looks like it. I will try to beat it back into place. It spends most of its time in on pavement..... It is my get to work truck in the winter and I pull the camper with it. It is my "family car" so id doesnt get to go play. I have 7 people in the family and the other car is a Neon. So this one has to stay on the road, so I treat it really nicely......:D Which is also why when I do the water pump it will come from Ford or IH and get a coolant filter.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64