Back Spacing

LIT UP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What will fit a F250 SUPERDUTY with 20" wheels. I'm old school what back spacing, in inches will fit. Everybody nowdays talks positive and negative this and that. What is the back spacing.:dunno

Thanks-Jon

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
What will fit a F250 SUPERDUTY with 20" wheels. I'm old school what back spacing, in inches will fit. Everybody nowdays talks positive and negative this and that. What is the back spacing.:dunno

Thanks-Jon

I assume you mean what tire will fit, but without listing a tire size that you're shooting for and whether you have lift or it not makes it kind of hard to pin down the info you need. Tire size may dictate your wheel backspace, and 99-04 trucks have different suspensions than the 05-08 trucks, so that is all stuff that will help you.

Backspacing is the distance measured from the back of the wheel hub mounting surface to the inside edge of the rim. To measure it you need a straightedge that only spans the width of the rim. Measure from the side of the straight edge touching the wheel to the hub face. That's backspacing.

Offset is the distance that the hub face is from the CENTERLINE of the wheel. Example: If you have a 20" diameter wheel 8" wide and your backspacing is 4.5" your offset is 0.5" (4" is the center of the wheel) Additionally, this is considered NEGATIVE offset because the hub is moved closer to the face of the wheel as you look at it on the vehicle. If you had a wheel with 3.5" of backspace, your offset would still be 0.5" but it would be POSITIVE offset because the hub has moved 0.5" from centerline towards the back of the wheel. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes we also need to know what year yer truck is cause you can fit 20 inch wheels on any vehicle. Also need to know if what look you are going for ergo an aggressive wide stance. Or tucked up under the wheel wells.

LIT UP

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I do not have a lift at this time, but plan on it in the future. I want to get some 20 x 10's and run the biggest tire I can stock, then after the lift I'll go to 36x 15.50 x 20's. Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
5 inches of backspacing will be fine for yer 08 anything less than that and you'll run into rubbing problems on full lock due to the outer lip of the tire sticking out farther. If you plan on running 15.5's i'd go with 4 inches or 4.5 inches of backspacing to keep from rubbing yer radius arms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64