Backup Camera v2.0?

dpantazis

Reaction score
hey guys-

under a hunch, i opened up the wireless backup camera from my other thread. here are some pics: thumbnails yield bigger pics.

some interesting things observed-

1. the camera board has the 12V+ and ground wires going to it, and there are 3 wires going from the camera board to what i think is the radio transmitter unit. i think its the radio transmitter because its the only thing that the antenna attaches to and the shielding in the connected to it.

so i am thinking that the yellow wire from the camera board is the video out signal.

so i am thinking that i will try hardwiring the camera to the monitor. so the next question i have is which way to wire it to an RCA connector?

2. the camera lens has an adjustable barrel on it. i think i can adjust the focus/field of view with it. aside from monkeying with it, anyone have a clue which way to turn it?

bush? jharvey? anyone?

dennis

johnrrogers

Old Racer
Reaction score
The wired cameras I have seen have the 12 volts + and the ground. The video signal is usually a yellow wire and another one will probably turn on the camera when shifting into reverse. The video conn is usually a RCA type connector. I would recommend scraping off some of the insulation on the wires, then use the camera and record the signals when in gear and then shifted into reverse. Good luck.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
I am in the video production business. You are correct about the yellow wire. YELLOW is the universal color of the video signal wire.

dpantazis

Reaction score
news- SUCCESS!

if this experiment did not work, i would have gotten a new backup camera from ebay like bush linked. since the camera is already packaged in a weatherproof housing and has the IR LEDS i figured what do i have to loose?

i clipped off the wireless transmitter and gave myself as much wire to work with. i jumped the connection from the antenna shielding to the black wire which i assumed is ground. the center antenna wire to the yellow wire.

then i cannibalized a extra RCA terminated wire. i soldered the shielding to the shielding and the center wire together. (the center pin of the RCA is the signal, the shielding goes to the outer ring or the 4-petals).

then i used an adapter RCA-RCA to get it back into the OEM AUX-IN cable.
i used a 12V gell cell battery i pulled from a UPS to power everything.

here are some pictures- my picture taking is not very good-kinda hard to keep the camera still and hold the wired to the terminals to keep power supplied. the focus of the B/U camera is fine, I am out of focus on the image. I will try to take a new picture later. you can see lint and smudges on the LCD clearly. I'm no jharvey.

so now all i have to do is put it all back together and run a cable to the cab of the truck and hardwire the connections.

tips- be VERY careful with those little wires. they are fragile. with my ham-fistedness i broke the yellow off the board. it took me as long to resolder it as all the other work i did to it.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youre inspiring me :D NICE WORK btw !

I think when/if i do this I'll pull the display apart and
connect the wires such that that wont stick out the side jacks
when connected...should make for a little cleaner install and make
it possible to hide all the wires feeding the monitor.

dpantazis

Reaction score
one more thing-

messing with the lens on the camera did not good. i could not change the focal point. there is no need to mess with it. looking at the screen image, the cabinets are 4-5 feet away, the door is about 10' away.

i can not get any decent pictures of the display. they are all out of focus or will have scan lines running across the display? any tips on how to get a decent picture of the display?

dennis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14