Bad Surge Problems

Reaction score
I knew I had a "small" surge issue, but after installing the DIY intake this past weekend, it's not longer "small". :eek: It's now really loud and consistent...even with slower accelerations.
I had hoped to put off fixing this (saving $$$ for other mods), but I'm now thinking I can't put it off. What do y'all think? How much time do I have? Should I order the ATS Ported Shroud Compressor Housing ASAP???:dunno

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scarlet_Nape said:
I knew I had a "small" surge issue, but after installing the DIY intake this past weekend, it's not longer "small". :eek: It's now really loud and consistent...even with slower accelerations.
I had hoped to put off fixing this (saving $$$ for other mods), but I'm now thinking I can't put it off. What do y'all think? How much time do I have? Should I order the ATS Ported Shroud Compressor Housing ASAP???:dunno

Try a WW first--it helped my surge/stall and while the install took longer than an ATS housing would, it was $80 vs. $400.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Try a WW first--it helped my surge/stall and while the install took longer than an ATS housing would, it was $80 vs. $400.

X2, I was supposed to put my WW on last weekend, but didn't get around to it. I've been driving with surge for almost a year, no biggie. It was there before, you just couldn't hear it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
John,going from the stock box to the big 6637 conical filter you're going to hear alot more turbo including whistle and surge.

Before you go popping down a few hundred bucks I'd go with the Wicked Wheel and yes thats something we could do at Bart's(with Cindi's permission;) ) we took the turbo assembly off for our WW install but would like to do the "turbo-on" for ya'lls trucks :sweet

I've read many owners doing the WW/Housing combo with positive results.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Scarlet_Nape said:

Are you talking about the whoosh at shifts? If so it's not as bad as the cyclical shhh, shhh, shhh when under load at 1500-1700rpm.-popcorn

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Scarlet_Nape said:
Hate to tell you this, my man, but the DIY intake didn't make your surge problems worse, it just allowed you to hear them better. You've probably been driving around under surge conditions quite a bit and didn't even know it.

That said, we need to make sure that what you are hearing is really surge. WHOOOSHING or SNEEZING at shifts or when you let off the throttle is stall, not surge. It is totally normal and unavoidable.

Surging is a sort of warbling howl at first, then a very distinct PST PST PST PST PST in very rapid succession. it is going to happen at 1/2 throttle or better, at about 1,500 to 1,900 RPMs and between 7 and 13 psi of boost. It does not coorelate with shifting at all, except that shifting can put the turbo into surge range, so AFTER the shift, it can start surging.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I will order the WW.

Bart/Bill/Kevin, we will need another mod party, soon. I think an exhaust may accompany the WW.:D

Hoss,

I hear the "swoosh" when I come off the accelerator. I knew it had always been there, but it sounds like it's getting worse. I just didn't want to lunch my turbo. I had understood that surge would eventually do that. And, considering how loud it is (I can hear it over my 37" Swampers), I assumed it was getting worse, fast.

Buying a new turbo would be great, if I knew anyone giving them away. :sweet It's just not in the funds right now.

I'll order the WW and see what that does for me. Definitely the cheaper option. I appreciate all the input and suggestions.:thanks

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Scarlet_Nape said:
Hoss,

I hear the "swoosh" when I come off the accelerator. I knew it had always been there, but it sounds like it's getting worse. I just didn't want to lunch my turbo. I had understood that surge would eventually do that. And, considering how loud it is (I can hear it over my 37" Swampers), I assumed it was getting worse, fast.
What you just described is not surge. it is stall. The WW will do nothing to cure it. Neither will the ATS housing, for that matter. Stall is simply the reversal of compressed air back out of the intake tract once the drive pressure stops driving the turbo (ie, shifts or letting off the throttle). It is totally normal, completely harmless, and not something to worry about. You can hear it more with your open intake.

Surge is a rythmic chirping sound under moderate to hard throttle in the middle of the powerband. That is what a WW solves. Surge is pretty hard on your turbo. Stall is not hard on it at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58