photos Bama's Chicken Farm

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
About 6 weeks ago we bought 4 hens & one rooster. Unfortunately, our rooster and one hen were killed by a stray dog last week.

We really like having them so far and haven't had to buy eggs for almost 2 months. The eggs taste so much better fresh versus buying them from the grocery store.

This last Saturday we went to trade day in Collinsville, AL (very famous trade day) and bought 4 more chickens. They are about a month away from beginning to lay their eggs.

Just wanted to share our little chicken farm with everyone.

The original three are in the first pics below and the chicken coop I built for them. They are a mix breed. Could have some Blue Leghorn in them maybe.

100_0924.jpg

100_0923.jpg

Mean as snake sometimes. Pecs the other 2 alot.
100_0922.jpg

100_0925.jpg

100_0927.jpg

The next 4 are our newest additions. I converted the old chain link dog pen to a coop. I bought a cheap dog house from Pet Depot and put in some dividers for nesting boxes.
100_0926.jpg

This one is a Delaware. She is beautiful. Emerald Green tail feathers and bright yellow legs.
100_0929.jpg

This one is a Buff Orphington. This one is my wifes, so she says. :D
100_0933.jpg

The next 2 are Red Stars. Sex link Rhode Island Reds. The are supposed to be egg laying machines.
100_0934.jpg

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you cutting in on tyson up there :stir:lmao

cool birds , nothing beats fresh eggs. you could enlarge their pen to cover your whole yard... no more ticks you would have young luke :sly

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Bama;

They are fun to watch, plus the fresh eggs are tasty. Over the years we have had cows, sheep, ducks, chickens, and by far chickens are less maintenance.

:sweet

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
seriously,

you have fallen off your rocker...

that is redneck if i ever saw one..

i kid cuz i care...:D

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Bama, not that you see cold weather down there but the Buff's will be the best layers when the going gets cold. the red stars will lay some HUGE freeking eggs sometimes one a day per bird. if you have cholesterol concerns, or want some crazy looking eggs you should try to get some arucanas (sp?). they lay greenish yellow to teal/green eggs, they are good layers as well. the eggs are claimed to be the lowest cholesterol of any chicken.

we have problems with fisher cats, fox, and weasels around here. the dogs and coyotes dont touch our chickens, i think because of the abundance of deer.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Your right on the Buff Zookie. That's why we got one, plus the wife thinks she's purty.

We get an egg a day from the first 3 we have. Hoping the same for the new ones.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Ah Bama.......this is getting out of hand. :eek:

Are you sure that Rooster is dead??? :D

Tbar

imagep209.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members