Battery Cable

L8AGN65

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 f250 super duty 5.4 the truck ran fine until it didnt. Drove the truck everyday then we had a week where we just didnt need it for anything that one week we go back get in it and it will not crank. Initially we thought battery then switch and since then we have carried it to 2 separate mechanics and they have no clue. Every once in a while you can put a hot battery in it and it may or may not start. Well when it does start it seems to do ok for a day or 2 then it just wont start. We have checked all the grounds fuses and all relays that are in the panels. I found a guy who says his dis the same thing and he had to put new battery cables on it and I can see where the problem might lie in this area because when it does crank it will usually be after we have put another new hot battery in it. But here is my problem the battery cable is on back order and they cant tell le how long it will take for it to get here because of the back order. So I am wondering if any one knows if there is another part that will interchange with this battery cable.
Any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks in Advance.

aquaman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my driver side battery cable recently because battery acid corroded and broke off the positive battery terminal clamp completely. Got a new motorcraft cable from Amazon within two days and fits/works perfectly

One thing your can try is jumping the truck from another. That’ll confirm if your battery is shot.

It’s also Possible the starter solenoid is going bad if it’s cranking intermittently. The solenoid contacts eventually get burned from arcing or wear out to the point they don’t conduct any more. The dead giveaway is the truck will crank 100% or not at all if it happens to hit a dead spot

Last edited:

Gary W

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have had some issues that sound about the same. I would have dead batteries or at least not enough to start the truck. After replacing batteries again and taking it to the battery shop to diagnose the issue, I finally found that the routing of the negative cable on the drivers side to the frame was slightly rusted causing an incomplete circuit at least to charge that battery. With the battery in discharged mode it would suck off the good battery during a couple of days of sitting. Solution: check all negative cables going to the frame AND add a cable at the frame connection point to the Engine Block (lots of places for mounting). Since this fix (ZERO) problems. Good Luck!

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to upgrade your battery cables I ordered a complete set from custombatterycables.com and love them. Very heavy duty and much improved from stock. Granted, mine is an '01 with a 7.3 but I'm sure it would be an improvement from stock and may help narrow your issues down some.