Battery Drain / Electrical Issues

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been having difficuly with the batteries being drained while the truck is sitting for a short while. (All day or overnight). Travis and I looked at it over the weekend and we found the current draw that is draining the batteries is going to the "Instrument Cluster". When the key has been turned on, and back to off (been running or not) there is a 1.5 Amp current draw, when we pull the "Instrument Cluster" fuse (name in owners manual) the draw stops, and when the fuse is replaced there is no draw until the key has been turned on and off again. A couple of other things that I have noticed is, After the fuse has been pulled, replaced and the ignition turned on, all the gauges go through a check cycle (0-High Peg-0) cycle. It does not do this when the ignition is turned on and the fuse is left in. Also, it starts much faster after the fuse has been pulled and replaced. It will start in 1-2 seconds after the fuse has been pulled, it seems to take 5-6 seconds, at least to start if the fuse is not pulled to cycle the dash.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Is there any aftermarket goodies installed? Aftermarket stereo? Aftermarket alarm/securtiy system? DVD players etc?.....

If not..... it might be the GEM but that just a stab in the dark.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,

Everything in the dash is stock. 6 disk Ford Stereo, Stock Guage cluster, and Automatic HVAC controls. I have a GPS and and XM installed, but plugged into the lighter, and I unplug them. I also have a brake controler installed, but I don't think it pulls off that circuit.

What is the GEM?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58