Battery Upgrade

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question about a battery "upgrade" if possible.

I frequent "next door" over at Oilburners.net One upgrade that I have read about that some guys do on their older trucks (80-97 pre-SuperDuty) is to replace the stock Group 65 "Automotive" Batteries, with Group 31 "Truck" Batteries. They are similar in size and shape, but slightly larger.

I know reading about the older trucks:
83-86, (Slantnose) Will drop in without clearance issue
87-91, (Bricknose) Will Drop in but may have clearance issues with hood
92-97, (OBS) Most likely will have clearance issues with hood.

If any of the above listed trucks have clearance issues, a minor modification to the battery trays, or the underside of the hood, and all is good.

Has anyone tried to put the Group 31 Batteries under the hood of a 99+ SuperDuty. Looking at the area both batteries sit in, there appears to be clearance around the battery, and enough room to clear a closed hood.

The 6.0 is murder on batteries, and would like to use a more appropriate battery for the engine. For those not familiar, a Group 31 battery is normally used as the start batteries in some Medium Duty Trucks, and Farm Tractors. They have a longer reserve, which means you can spin the engine longer before the battery starts to loose the ability to supply power to the starter.

Hoping for a "been there, done that, works great" instead of being the guinea pig.

Last edited:

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Auto Zone Gold top batteries. They have a 3 yr free replacement and I am on my third set for a one time cost of 100 a battery. YOu are right though they are murder on batteries.

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
I just went out and tried to start mine and its dead. Still stock batteries so Im happy they lasted. but I just did a search and right now I am leaning toward cat batteries. I was wonder about the 31 battery size too.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not so much the size.. Larger, in measurment.. is not better ?

It's ALL about the CCA's, Battery type (Lead Acid, AGM, Dry cell) Brand conciderations (Major/known Brand.. to El Cheapo Brand X).

Whatever you deside, Don't Go Fer Cheap. Good Enough, Won't git it... in the long run.

Spend some Bucks now.. and be done with it for 3 to 5 years. Or Go fer Cheap.. and do it again next year, or sooner.... and the year after that, or sooner.

These PSD's need (Require accually) Good, Strong, Dependable, Consistant Volts & Amps. Anything Less or Marginal .. will give you Electronic Gremlin Fits & Failures..

;):lmao 'ol guy stuff..... but worth pondering ????:dunno

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe,

I understand your concern.... and I am not looking at them because they are physically larger. My perspective was, will they fit because they are larger.

I have personal experience with bad batteries and how bad of a mood it can put a PSD into. The Group 31 batteries do not necessarily have an extremely high CCA like I have seen on Automotive batteries (1000, 1200 CCA, for Example). The Group 31's I think are rated around 800-900 CCA, however the reserve is much longer, meaning they can supply the 800 CCA for a longer time. They are a lead-acid battery. Most of the Automotive batteries with a high CCA can only supply the 1000 CCA for just a couple of seconds, before they start to loose their oomph.... and when they loose it, they loose it fast. The 31's may only give 850 CCA, but it can supply it for, 30 seconds (again these are just theory numbers, but the information the numbers are based on is a known trait of the batteries). So with the 31's I can crank longer if needed, and they will supply higher power for longer, and they are made for a harsher environment, they are less susceptible to vibration.... etc. This is why I am looking at this upgrade. My truck will eat a set of "decent" (NAPA 75's, High End Advance Auto Batteries) in a couple of years or less. I would like to be able to put a set of batteries under the hood, and not have to worry about them for a few years, instead of a few months. In my opinion, Ford, on all the diesels even back to the IDI's they should have used a heavy duty battery, more made for the environment they are being used in (diesel, vibrations, high current draw) and used a Group 31 type battery, instead of a Group 65 Automotive battery. The automotive batteries do not like the harsh environment and vibration that a diesel exposes them to. The Group 31 is the battery used in Medium Duty and Farm Tractor applications (harsh, vibrations).

This is my family vehicle... and my main concern is, if the wife and kids hops in the truck, and takes off the the grocery store, or to her mom's house 300 miles away, that every time they get in the truck, it will start (At lease not because of the batteries, electrical is the only reason the truck has not started) every time. Right now... in 12-18 months, it starts to have issues. The initial problem that shows me that it is "starting again" is, if I start the truck, pull it out of the garage and shut it down, later put it back in the garage, the next time I go to start it, you can tell the batteries are down. I know that the batteries do take a bit to recover, but when the batteries are new, it does not do this. For me, the biggest frustration with this truck (and yes it is a 6.0), it battery/starting power issues.

I do know one big issue we are all having is, batteries are not built like they used to be. That is happening in everything anymore.... but it rears its ugly head really quickly in batteries.....

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using Optima deep cycle or something equivilant?, Anyone got an idea?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right now I am leaning toward diehard platinum. they might be a little pricy but they have a 4 year replacement and 100 month prorate.

They're the Batts I went with. Same warrenty program. Very good AGM Batterys.Glad I spent the, One Time Buck's.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I put two Costco batteries in about two years ago with a 60 month warranty. I noticed that the alternator powers at different voltages (12.8 to 15.2) while operating the engine. I discussed this with a (friend) mechanic and he told me that that could kill a battery prematurely because of the higher voltage. I had the alternator checked out and it shows good.

The batteries lasted two years and I had them replaced at Costco, after letting them die (I was repairing the EGR delete and left the interior light on) with no questions asked and got another 60 month warranty. I did not try to re-charge either. It cost me about $10.00 for the two new batteries.

Not sure why the alternator voltage goes so high but I keep an eye no it

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58