Bearing question

moby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im planning a year or so of working on the road and I've got a concern or two. I'm getting ready to buy a 6.0 with low mileage and knowing the problems I'm deleting egr and doing head studs and oil bypass right away but I'm just curious how many guys have had bearing (short block) failures before say 300k miles? I'm not chipping just doing the deletes for reliability as worst case would be truck breaking down hauling rv 1k miles from home.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Bearing ware is no more a problem with the 6.0 than any other engine. Head gasket failure was the number 1 problem and I see you are going to be doing head studs. This should NOT be a problem after the head studs. I have not chipped my truck and it is running great, for a stocker. I have around 135,000 miles on it. Good luck!

kenter55

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im planning a year or so of working on the road and I've got a concern or two. I'm getting ready to buy a 6.0 with low mileage and knowing the problems I'm deleting egr and doing head studs and oil bypass right away but I'm just curious how many guys have had bearing (short block) failures before say 300k miles? I'm not chipping just doing the deletes for reliability as worst case would be truck breaking down hauling rv 1k miles from home.

Hope it's not too late, just got the email. If you deleted the egr before any coolant got into the exhaust (it cracked) you do not need stud job or any other mods. We see 6.0's regularly with 350,000mi.+ with no problems as long as you keep your coolant changed and clean. Hate to say it because we do a few for customers that request it, but totally unnecessary!

azmpierce

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do the egr delete, replace the oil cooler,use GO5 coolant and leave it alone. Cracked heads are a problem due to overheating but head gaskets are actually misdiagnosed 99% of the time. Extreme cylinder pressures can create high temps and cause head gasket failures. Power adders help create these. I own several 6.0's and a shop that specializes in 6.0 &7.3 fords. In the last 13 years we have replace literally dozen's if not over 100's of heads. We found only 1 blown gasket. Never have had a repeat failure and only use studs when customer supplied them. (we do run studs on our SBF race motors with Nitrous) I tow a53' race trailer with 2 drag cars, golf cart, tools,gen., welder, 55 gal fuel NOS bottles & full living quarters with my 03 cc,dually 4x4 w/ edge juice-no exhaust,etc. 85 mph in Arizona summer heat. No hg issues. Also an 03, f350 cc,4x4, 6" lift, 4' exhaust, edge juice & 100 hp flip chip. # truck pulls - 3 wins- 2 mad highly modified 5.9 dodge owners as well as several others. That's over 200 extra hp and no hg problems

azmpierce

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
P.S. , Dually recently burned a piston at 327k. Not sure what happened- wife filled it with 87 octane & drove it home 30 miles @ 80 mph. Pistons look a little rough, cracked both heads, turbo pipes a little blue. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track