Help Needed Belt Dressing Issues

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night I did a foil delete/polish on my intercooler pipe. Put everything back on and did a cold start of the truck with the hood open, and that's when I noticed a very loud clacking noise coming from somewhere in the serpentine belt assembly. I hear this every day upon startup, but figured this time I'd do something about it. So I sprayed belt dressing on the underside of the belt. BIG MISTAKE. It now squeals horribly whenever I bring it up above idle. Is there anything I can do to remedy this without changing the entire belt? I'll also add, the clacking noise does normally go away after the truck warms up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, why would you do that?
Can't you read? The can says "DO NOT USE ON SERPENTINE BELT."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
If the belt has been on a while then it can't hurt to replace it. I guess you could try washing the dressing off with Dawn dishsoap but you'd probably have to take it of to do so anyway.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even know if soap would do anything. Lol
I would just replace it also.

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, why would you do that?
Can't you read? The can says "DO NOT USE ON SERPENTINE BELT."

Maybe we're discussing two different products? The belt dressing I used is specifically for serpentine belts, manufactured by Prestone, and highly recommended by the auto parts store employees. Anyway, I purchased a new tensioner, idler pulley, and serp belt and will be changing it this weekend

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clacking noise is probably tensioner pulley bearing, or an idler pulley, or all. If and when you replace the belt, replace all of them that are not lined up. Yes, it's more expensive than just a belt, but a new tight belt will drive the bad stuff further out of alignment and toast the bearings further...and start making problems for alternator and anything else connected.

FYI, last time I had this done was in May 2009, at 95k miles:
1. nbh 25-081223HD fleetrunner belt (green) $72.47 - just replaced it 2 months ago, great belt
2. nbh 38191 spring tensioner $111.79
3. rhk rhk9066b radiator hose kit ul $50.82
4. for fstz-8678-FA idler kit $49.66
5. misc hose clamps, tie straps, antifreeze, etc $45

I've never put dressing on the SD's serpentine belt. That green GATES belt wore beautifully; I replaced it just a few months ago at around 205k miles so I got another.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe we're discussing two different products? The belt dressing I used is specifically for serpentine belts, manufactured by Prestone, and highly recommended by the auto parts store employees. Anyway, I purchased a new tensioner, idler pulley, and serp belt and will be changing it this weekend

Huh. Could be.
Only one I knew of was for v belts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64