Question Best 4r100 rebuild kit for the $

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, like the title says I'm looking to get the most for my dollar. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 4r100 and I wanted your opinions on rebuild kits for our trannys. I've been to numerous sites and all offer their version of their master kit. I've spent countless hours studying the contents of each kit and all I come up with are headaches.:dunno so, I'm askin you all-"what rebuild kit would you recommend and why?" I'm looking for the best kit that will accommodate my mods below. I may add methanol and a bigger turbo, so I'd like to be able to grow into the tranny. Thanks

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will his ultimate kit be able to hold up to my mods? I see that he offers an armor kit as a supplement. When should a person consider an armor kit (as far as mods are concerned)? Thanks for any info guys!

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The Armour kit has the upgraded hard parts the the clutch kits don't have.

Yes the ultimate kit will hold up to your mods. ;tu

Give him a call tell him what your up to. ;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that I ended up with parts from Racer X and am pleased with the result after almost 2 years now. I did not see injectors in your sig or it may be that my eyes aren't open completely yet.

I am pleased with the transmission and how it performs under load and daily driving, keep in mind that you are going to need to rebuild your valve body too if you want good performance. I am running the trango tugger HD-2 kit in the valve body. it is a complete valve body rebuild kit that many use about 80% of the parts as a "shift kit"

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Would it be a problem if I wanted to reuse my existing factory tech valve body? If I reused it, what can I bypass in terms of extra parts? Do I need the tugger kit?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Would it be a problem if I wanted to reuse my existing factory tech valve body? If I reused it, what can I bypass in terms of extra parts? Do I need the tugger kit?

You will need to use the pump parts only. The rest of the accumulator body parts will stay in the box. Try it with the Factory Tech part. If you don't like the shifts. Adjust them with the TransGo parts.;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few options for you

1. no transgo kit
2. tansgo kit and use pump parts
3. full transgo kit

I would go with option 3 since the factory tech is just the accumulator, the tugger (transgo) kit does not like the sonnax & tricumulator spring upgrades in the accumulator body (essentially the FTVB). Your factory springs in the rest of the valve body are getting worn a bit and are not going to be as firm as they once were so replacing them will be your best bet. The tugger kit replaces all of the springs in the VB & Accumulator body & Front pump.

ddan2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you talked to John Woods Transmission? He is very Very knowlegable about the 4r100!.
From what I read you will definatly need new input and output shafts. I had jonh build me a front pump, torque converter and accumulator body. and updated the clutch packs.
I am very pleased with the results. with the added bonus! I did it myself!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58