best way to improve fuel economy on 6.4L

Bushr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What is the best combination of modifications to improve my fuel economy? But I do not want to do any motor work like injectors or turbo's.

nailbender8usmc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What's worked for me

I put a S&B cold air intake on mine about 1500 miles ago, my mileage has gone up 1.8MPG. I have 24k miles on mine. I'm getting ready to change my oil as well and I'm going over to full synthetic, I expect mileage to improve slighty from that. My overall average MPG is 16.5 Let me know if this helps and let me know what works for you.

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no mods. I do not have a lead foot. I start off easy, stay around 65MPH, use cruise control and I am now averaging 16.8. That is hand calculated, not the computer generated avg.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I put a S&B cold air intake on mine about 1500 miles ago, my mileage has gone up 1.8MPG. I have 24k miles on mine. I'm getting ready to change my oil as well and I'm going over to full synthetic, I expect mileage to improve slighty from that. My overall average MPG is 16.5 Let me know if this helps and let me know what works for you.

What kind of a project was the install on this intake? I want to swap mine out but it looks like a nitemare to get to everything. [sorry about hi-jack]

nailbender8usmc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Intake install

Total time for the install was less than 30 minutes. I ordered my intake from Dieselmanor.com, got it two days later. It really is a simple install.

08AZF350SD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is by far one of the most often asked questions. First off if you have anything other than the 3.55's that came standard with job 3 trucks you will never see anything near the 15 to 18 mpg many others claim. Do not expect much until the truck has at least 15k and several oil changes. Keep up with the Ford's ECM programming.

I wish there were 20+ mpg possiblities with this truck but not with the current emmissions. I am not a big fan of removing the DPF and spending nearly $2k to reprogram for a few extra miles per gallon.

Do your best to drive her in manner to keep boost under 10psi. Fresh oil and a new air filter and at least 80 psi in the tires go a long ways as well.

My 08 F350 SRW job 3 is running about 16 to 18 freeway empty and I drive it like a 90 year old grandma!

good luck.

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It is true changing over to full synthetic will get you a little mileage increase. It is usually 2-5%. Just so it is understood correctly, on a truck getting 16 mpg a 5% increase is .80 mpg. On a 30 gallon tank that amounts to 24 more miles per tank. It is small but it all adds up. An air intake, synthetics, tuner with mild tune up to 80 or 90 hp will all increase mileage. You can expect 3 or 4 mpg with all the afore mentioned mods.

If you were to change all of the drive train to synthetic (Engine, trans, diffs and T-case) it could go up to as much as 8 or 9% increase. 8% is equal to 1.28 mpg in the same scenario. I have heard of more, I like to tell people that you will get better mileage over conventional I just don't want them to expect it to be a huge increase.

It is something to add in when figuring pricing and extended drain intervals with synthetics as well as extended engine life and cooler running temps with synthetics.

Dane

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front and rear diff's are spect synthetic from Ford already right?

I will be totally honest with you I am not sure if they come from the factory with synthetic or not. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the this will chime in.

Dane