Better performing CPS for 7.3L Powerstroke

Car_nut57

Reaction score
I replaced my CPS in my 2001 some time ago with a new CPS from IHC which has made a noticeable difference in the way my truck runs and improved fuel mileage by about 1.5mpg. According to the IHC manager who supplies us parts, this sensor provides a stronger, cleaner signal than the stock ones that come from Ford. He also said it helps to eliminate the radio noise problems and makes the signal more consistent. The effect is that the truck runs smoother and seems to have a little more torque in the low and mid rpms, but the big plus for me is the mpg. I have been so impressed with this sensor that we now stock it for our customers.

I and a few others have been using IHC part# 1807339C92 with all so far reporting the same sorts of benefits as I have described. One thing I can tell you is that if you take the stock sensor and try to pick up a screw driver with its magnet and then do the same thing with the IHC part, you will find the IHC part has about double the pull. If this means anything or not, I don't know, but it is about the only tangible physical difference between the two other than color. The IHC sensor is blue.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, that part number you give is for the DT466 engine. While not technically the correct sensor for the T444E engine, it has shown to work. The correct sensor ends in a C93, or C99 depending on model year.

From what I have been able to gather, the DT466 sensor has a different timing characteristic to it. I want to say it retards the timing like 2* or so.

The reports back that I have read state the truck seams to have better low end power, but has a LOSS on the top end.

Now, if you were messing with a chip or propane that has a ton of advance, I could see using the DT sensor as a way of counteracting that perhaps?

Im a little concerned that your IH Parts guy is claiming the C92 is an "upgraded" sensor for our motors, as its technically NOT for our motors!

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Hmmm, that part number you give is for the DT466 engine. While not technically the correct sensor for the T444E engine, it has shown to work. The correct sensor ends in a C93, or C99 depending on model year.

From what I have been able to gather, the DT466 sensor has a different timing characteristic to it. I want to say it retards the timing like 2* or so.

The reports back that I have read state the truck seams to have better low end power, but has a LOSS on the top end.

Now, if you were messing with a chip or propane that has a ton of advance, I could see using the DT sensor as a way of counteracting that perhaps?

Im a little concerned that your IH Parts guy is claiming the C92 is an "upgraded" sensor for our motors, as its technically NOT for our motors!

Hmmm. That is interesting. Good post, Daryl. The one thing i wanted to point out, however, is that retarding your diesel injection timing will have very little to do with retarding the ignition timing of propane, as it is an uncontrolled, photo-ignition that the injector timing has no control over. That said, the retarded injection timing WOULD help reduce cylinder pressures in such a setup, since the photo-ignition of the propane happens early enough that the combustion gasses expand in the cylinder WAY before TDC, then get compressed even more by the piston. Add the diesel injection event and burn before TDC, and you are getting some pretty serious CPs. (I know you know all of this, Daryl, I am just stating it for those that wouldn't).

Additionally, I am not even close to being knowledgable enough about electronics to question you, but I had heard that the CPS he is talking about actually advances timing 4* or so. This would make sense, if he is getting quieter, smoother operation and better fuel economy. Retarded timing would have the opposite effect in all cases, AFAICT.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:

The IHC guy I have been talking to never said exactly the applications for this sensor specifically. Several months ago I had called him because I had an International part number that I had been told would advance timing and he told me that I had the wrong part number and should use this one. With that said, he told me recently that this sensor should not change timing significantly, only clean up the signal and make it more consistant.

I can tell you that using this sensor without a chip and towing. The truck still runs much better than with the stock sensor. Pulls more boost and has more power you can feel, than the stock sensor does. I am now running my Big Hoss level-5 with it and it works very well with it. Mainly I notice smoother running, less smoke and a small improvement in mpg.

Last edited:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Car_nut57 said:
The IHC guy I have been talking to never said exactly the applications for this sensor specifically. Several months ago I had called him because I had an International part number that I had been told would advance timing and he told me that I had the wrong part number and should use this one. With that said, he told me recently that this sensor should not change timing significantly, only clean up the signal and make it more consistant.

I can tell you that using this sensor without a chip and towing. The truck still runs much better than with the stock sensor. Pulls more boost and has more power you can feel, than the stock sensor does. I am now running my Big Hoss level-5 with it and it works very well with it. Mainly I notice smoother running, less smoke and a small improvement in mpg.

Cool! ;tu

Sergiu Boerica

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I replaced my CPS in my 2001 some time ago with a new CPS from IHC which has made a noticeable difference in the way my truck runs and improved fuel mileage by about 1.5mpg. According to the IHC manager who supplies us parts, this sensor provides a stronger, cleaner signal than the stock ones that come from Ford. He also said it helps to eliminate the radio noise problems and makes the signal more consistent. The effect is that the truck runs smoother and seems to have a little more torque in the low and mid rpms, but the big plus for me is the mpg. I have been so impressed with this sensor that we now stock it for our customers.

I and a few others have been using IHC part# 1807339C92 with all so far reporting the same sorts of benefits as I have described. One thing I can tell you is that if you take the stock sensor and try to pick up a screw driver with its magnet and then do the same thing with the IHC part, you will find the IHC part has about double the pull. If this means anything or not, I don't know, but it is about the only tangible physical difference between the two other than color. The IHC sensor is blue.

Sergiu Boerica

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Trying to figure out some things for my 2002 Excursion 7.3L

Would this Part IHC #1807339C92 work with a 2002 Excursion 7.3L engine?

I have found at Pure Diesel a new improved CPS, they say, but the stock #1876736C91, it is not even close to #1807339C92.

So, shall send it back and look for Part #1807339C92 ?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64