Big Rig Fuel Tank Question

Blackcoyote

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big Rig Fuel Tank Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone attempted to install and plumb in a big rig fuel tank in their bed?

Here are my thoughts, the tank already has a sending unit, heater, and comes with all the hardware needed except the mounting. The mounting isn't hard if you by the brackets that you find on the OTR frames.

If you purchase a used passenger side tank, the filler neck would be placed closest to the driver's side bed rail with the long section of the tank placed sideways in the bed. If you find a late 90's fuel tank selector selenoid and switch set up, you can have the tank serve as an actual working second tank and be done with it.

It seems pretty simple, unless I'm missing something bigger?

Eric

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several Rancher friends have done this, work great.

Only thing is.. if it's a used tank, be sure and Triple rinse and better yet: Steam clean it, inside, and use New fittings & Lines

If you ever use any Bio Fuels.. yul have Mondo fuel filter issues... if you don't

Joe

(prolly a "DUH", but worth mentioning ?)

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I'd love to have an extra tank but I got a short bed with stacks. That replacement tank for my stock tank is expensive. Wonder if anyone makes one that fits in the side of your bed that doesnt mess up the amount of cargo I carry. Extra 30gal would be great.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
The only thing i wonder about, is the strain on the fuel pump sucking it outta the extra tank. I have buddies in the hotshot business who have just plumbed the extra tank into the filler neck of your existing tank, it just keeps your tank full for a long time. You odn't need to worry about wiring, and the plumbing is minimal. Just make sure the fuel cap seals well, and don't take the cap off. Only fill the fuel in the bigrig tank in the bed. Fwiw

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you only use a aluminum tank to stay away from rust, also what bigrigr said. TSC or someone makes a kit to put in your filler neck that has a spout on the side of the neck to hook a hose to from your tank in the bed. Good luck.

Doug

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i wonder about, is the strain on the fuel pump sucking it outta the extra tank. I have buddies in the hotshot business who have just plumbed the extra tank into the filler neck of your existing tank, it just keeps your tank full for a long time. You odn't need to worry about wiring, and the plumbing is minimal. Just make sure the fuel cap seals well, and don't take the cap off. Only fill the fuel in the bigrig tank in the bed. Fwiw

This isn't good enough. You need to have a roll over valve or equivalent so that when the main tank is full, the aux tank in the bed no longer flows fuel to it.

RDS Aluminum makes a gravity feed kit that does this for diesel trucks; it's available from Northern Tool. Make sure to clean out their valve since I found some heavy grease in mine.

If you're going to the trouble of adding an aux fuel tank, I'd install a fuel filter between the two tanks and get some extra fuel filter insurance while you're at it.

My .02.

Good luck.

Al

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr