Biggest Fuel killer for a RV lets list it.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight is one of the biggest fuel killers, aerodynamics is the other so what are some fixes for this.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You're pretty limited as far as reducing weight. You can't go camping with your water tank empty or without the fridge stocked with food.

I don't think there is a lot you can do as far as wind resistance, but some folks claim THESE things help some. One thing to keep in mind though, slowing down even just as little as 5 mph, can make a big difference in the MPG when pulling a trailer.

One other thing, make sure your tires are all properly inflated. A underinflated tire increases rolling resistance as well as sway in cross winds. With a heavily loaded truck/trailer, underinflated tires are vulnerable to overheating and subsequent blow-outs.

FWIW, I usually run my trailer tires within just a few psi of the max pressure as stated on the side of the tire.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were playing with a air boat yesterday and I put my truck in behind the boat (about 20 to 30 foot) and there was some interesting air flow around the truck and camper. I was amazed about the air flow under the truck and camper. We used a mosquito smoker to see the air flow, works great. But talk about wind drag. Need to move the air flow out from under the camper and truck. How on the truck ??? camper is no problem.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
NASCAR calls this effect drafting. Getting the airstream to flow evenly over two vehicles reduces drag for both cars.

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NASCAR calls this effect drafting. Getting the airstream to flow evenly over two vehicles reduces drag for both cars.

Dave

Theres no air stream flow under a 4x4 truck....lol. Now a two wheel drive truck you could do something with. I have seen a F350 DRW around here thats dropped with ground affects and he has about 6" of clearance.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Need to move the air flow out from under the camper and truck. How on the truck ??? camper is no problem.
Alot of vehicles have front air dams that divert air from going under a vehicle to around the sides. An OEM or aftermarket air dam may help.

Many campers in recent years have used a flexible material to enclose the underbelly of the camper. That material covers all the tanks and framework providing for less drag.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, I have seen them. I have been looking at what I could do on my 5ther. Not to many option's out there for older units like mine. My 5ther is a 2000 and looks like new on the inside, outside nothing a new clearcoat job would not fix.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
----outside nothing a new clearcoat job would not fix.

I have heard that this stuff does wonders on oxidized gelcoat:
View attachment 11868
Several people have told me it works just awesome.

My camper's finish is in need of some attention. I've never tried the stuff, but plan on it when the camper comes out of storage in about a month.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We been camping for the last week and sure enjoying the nice WX,
Come on over to OK.
Doug

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
NEAT! I just put one of these on my race car. And then just saw what I would assume is a stock one on a 2012 F350. I could maybe put one on my 99 F250????

attachment.php

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58