Biodiesel in an 85 IDI

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
I know of a fella who is buying an 85 IDI w/ 171,000 miles and wants to run bio-d in it. I did a search and found a college saying that the IDI had a wider range of fuel options and was more forgiving with bio fuels, can anyone comment on this?
Thanks,
Craig

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think that is true. I had a '93 IDI and it would run on almost anything that would burn. I am sure it would run great in Bio-d. Just make sure he has a spare fuel filter and a wrench to change it on the road. Bio-d will clean out the fuel tank and lines ang gunk up the filter in no time. Also the fuel lines may need to be changed. The '85 is a bit old for the good fuel lines.

Dave

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
happeetxn said:
I know of a fella who is buying an 85 IDI w/ 171,000 miles and wants to run bio-d in it. I did a search and found a college saying that the IDI had a wider range of fuel options and was more forgiving with bio fuels, can anyone comment on this?
Thanks,
Craig

Girl Mark had a 6.9 IDI that ran on homebrew B100 for a few years and around the country. Other than the return lines, it should be OK. Don't remember hearing or IP o-ring problems, tho the 6.2l GM I just stuck in my RV the PO was running on Bio. It leaks at the IP somewhere (same pump as IDI's basically). Not sure if thats related to Bio use tho. Haven't had time to tear into it yet.

Saying the IDI's are more forgiving is questionable. Early on there were suposedly major problems reported by people trying to run VO and Bio in DI engines. As time goes on that has proven innacurate, but each new generation of engines gets the same rumors. The 6.0's were initially said to have huge problems more or less on B100 and/or WVO, but now there are a lot of people with those engines and no problems running either fuel...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58