black trucks.....swirls and scratches

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is all black and I cannot seem to get out all the little tiny swirl marks and little scratches that just happen over time. I have tried using compound but that seems to make more scratches than were already there. What do you guys use?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
My last truck was black and I used to have to wax it 3 times with three different products to get it perfect. I used Meguiers products. First was the scrubbing wax that cleaned the surface. Then I used a swirl remover/reducer then finally a good coat of normal wax. It was a lot of work but it looked perfect when I was done. Bryan

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont buff or polish in circles when putting on the wax, use strait lines up and down on the hood from the base to the window. Or on the sides left to right on side panels... this will help reduce some of the swirls. It will take about 2-3 differant coats of polish and wax to get most of it out.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
One thing I've learned with owning black vehicles is never wash in a circular pattern,only front to back.

What we've used for years on our Mustangs and trucks is Mothers Ultimate Wax System which consists of PRE-WAX CLEANER,SEALER AND GLAZE and CALIFORNIA GOLD PURE CARNAUBA WAX. Prior to treating the paint I clay bar it to remove all the surface nasty stuff :sweet

Bill

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have all black truck, my biggest thing is when washing make sure u have no dirt in wash rag or whatever same with drying off clean them offten as washing truck, any lil piece of dirty is gonna make a fine scratch in clear coat, doesnt help you but helps prevent

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
get it buffed and polished. i worked as a detailer for 3 years and now i work in a body shop buffing freshly painted cars that have been wetsanded with 1500 then 2000 grit paper. you can wax and hand compound all you want but nothing beats a highspeed buffer. but if you dont know how to use one leave it to a proffesional!!!!!!

both mustangs ive owned are black and so is my s-10, i wanted a black f350 but was limited in options at the time of purchase, but im going to paint it.

waxing and hand compounds are good, but i would say take it to a good detail shop and pony up the cash to have it clay barred and polished. at least once a year. i used to wax my old mustang once a week and polish it every few months, i dont have the time like that anymore but i still do it alot.

sorry if i seem enthusiastic about this topic but it pretty much has been my life since i got my first job lol. and i LOVE black cars/trucks!

also clay barring before waxing is key for a smooth finish. heres a trick to REALY feel your paint. lightly rub it with your fingers, feels smooth? put your fingers in a celophane (sp?) wrapper from a pack of ciggarets. now feel your paint the same way. ICK! lol. the celophane allows you to feel every imperfection in the paint that your skin conforms too. then claybar the car and do it again. nice and smooth with the celophane.

any more questions on truck care feel free to PM or IM me.

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
Shaggy said:
get it buffed and polished. i worked as a detailer for 3 years and now i work in a body shop buffing freshly painted cars that have been wetsanded with 1500 then 2000 grit paper. you can wax and hand compound all you want but nothing beats a highspeed buffer. but if you dont know how to use one leave it to a proffesional!!!!!!

both mustangs ive owned are black and so is my s-10, i wanted a black f350 but was limited in options at the time of purchase, but im going to paint it.

waxing and hand compounds are good, but i would say take it to a good detail shop and pony up the cash to have it clay barred and polished. at least once a year. i used to wax my old mustang once a week and polish it every few months, i dont have the time like that anymore but i still do it alot.

sorry if i seem enthusiastic about this topic but it pretty much has been my life since i got my first job lol. and i LOVE black cars/trucks!

also clay barring before waxing is key for a smooth finish. heres a trick to REALY feel your paint. lightly rub it with your fingers, feels smooth? put your fingers in a celophane (sp?) wrapper from a pack of ciggarets. now feel your paint the same way. ICK! lol. the celophane allows you to feel every imperfection in the paint that your skin conforms too. then claybar the car and do it again. nice and smooth with the celophane.

any more questions on truck care feel free to PM or IM me.

Please come and shine my truck!:thumbs

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
i do detail on the side, but i think proximity is a problem for most of you guys lol. that leads me to a question. who on here is from the chicago area? most everyone ive seen is out west or south.

but hey, if anyone is ever gonna be in the area, i can always use some spare cash! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr