Bleeding injectors ?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Where I work they installed new injectors in a E-450. Is there a way to bleed out the air as you are trying to get it started? Would it help to loosen the plugs in the back of the heads to get rid of of the air? The last one they did took forever to get going and thought the starter was going to burn out. Just would like to know as I might have to do mine someday.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
f100cleveland said:
Where I work they installed new injectors in a E-450. Is there a way to bleed out the air as you are trying to get it started? Would it help to loosen the plugs in the back of the heads to get rid of of the air? The last one they did took forever to get going and thought the starter was going to burn out. Just would like to know as I might have to do mine someday.

I can't believe someone hasn't replied to this yet. We are all very sorry, adn you probably already have the issue solved. However, in case you don't, here goes...

If you take out the plugs on the opposite side of the fuel rail from the supply side (make sure it is the fuel rail, not the HPO rail), and you turn the key on, you will get a fountain of fuel out both holes like someone turned on a hose. I would not recommend that. Usually, the rig should start easily after the pump is primed. Did you do anything that would cause the pump to lose its prime? If so, you may want to check and see if it is actually pumping by opening the water in fuel drain and see if it pukes diesel. If it does not, you've found your problem. If it does, then I am at a loss, I haven't really heard of these trucks having trouble getting started due to air in the fuel rail. You might crack the plugs on the heads open just a little tiny bit and see if fuel comes out. I'll bet it does. That said, my guess is that your problem is not air in the heads, but something else all together...

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I was wondering if I had asked a really stupid question. The last one they did hit on a couple of cylinders every once in a while but wouldn't stay running. It took most of the day to get running and for the next couple of days it needed help getting started. That was at 268k and today over a year later and over 300k it runs great. I'll tell them to try primeing the system by cracking the plugs and to check the fuel flow at the water drain. Thanks for the reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14