Boost pressure and intercooler hose Question

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was towing my 5er and was noticing that the boost pressure was pegging on the gauge at over 30 at times, and then I heard a funny sound coming from the engine. A little while later a big pop came from the engine. The truck had no power, found a place to pullover and found that the intercooler hose was off. It also had a cut on one side. Found some duct tape to cover the cut and was able to get home. Now my questions,

1- Did Ford had some type of recall for the intercooler hose? I thought that I had read that they did. (03 truck) Seems like this happened to a lot of ppl.

2- Was the high boost due to the failing intercooler hose, or do I have something else going bad?

This was one H of a trip! Had two blowouts on the 5er and the hose. A 3.5 hr trip turned into a bit over 8 hrs.

Thank for your help!

Mark

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
30+psi for extended periods of time is going to kill your stock turbo Mark.

Not sure about the recall but I'm not suprised the tube blew off. Some updated boots and clamps might help as will a good cleaning to clear the oily residue.

What HP setting did you have the chip/tuner set at???

Tbar

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
It's a 6.0 Lance I think 30 is normal with a load and grades:dunno I would bet the pop came from a hose blowing off. I had that happen to me last week, sounds like a shotgun blast.

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
sounds like a shotgun blast.

Yep, that sums it up!

So is the hose just a dealer thing or can I get it from another place? Even use some other type of hose?

Mark

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Well basically the hose itself should be fine. The are 3" diameter hoses not sure how many on the 6.0, but at least 4 of them. I would be willing to bet, that you CCV (crankcase vent) has put enough oil into the system to saturate the hoses and intercooler tubes with oil. Then when you apply enough force to them (30lbs boost) they blow off. You could either redo your crankcase vent, not sure how they are setup on your motor, or you could consider removing the hoses after a certain amount of miles to clean the oil just a part of maintenance.

If your truck is stock as you stated and still covered on the 36K free warranty I would take it to the dealer and let them fix it. If you are past the 36K and have the $100 deductible, I would get myself some SIMPLE GREEN cleaner, and clean it myself. It's not difficult by any means, plus you'll become a little more acquainted with your motor.

You could also upgrade hoses and that should lengthen the time between cleanings or solve the problem all togethor. I got my hoses here:

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/air

Last edited:

B-Rad

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Glad Im not the only one that has heard that noise. Ive heard it twice going about 65 at 2500RPM towing with the AC on. At first I thought it was something rubbing on the front suspension but realized its in the motor. It seemed to go away when I took the AC off so I dont know if that has something to do with it. My hose hasnt popped off but I will be checking it in a while.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
B-Rad said:
Glad Im not the only one that has heard that noise. Ive heard it twice going about 65 at 2500RPM towing with the AC on. At first I thought it was something rubbing on the front suspension but realized its in the motor. It seemed to go away when I took the AC off so I dont know if that has something to do with it. My hose hasnt popped off but I will be checking it in a while.

An over charged A/C system can make simular noises. I had a shop charge my system after an accident where many parts were changed. the problem was they were trying to charge it when it was 34 degrees outside, and ended up making it puke and make aweful noises during use until I figured out what the problem was.

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boost

Boost on a stock 03 should be around 23 psi 3rd gear wot, unloaded. Even loaded(stock) it shouldn't go above 26-27 (ocasionally) On My 03 I started to see 30-35+ psi on my guage. It turns out sometimes the vanes in the turbo stick wide open and let to much air through. There is a recall notice for this on the 03's, They replaced my turbo, no questions. Makes a weird sound also when it does this as well as some black smoke. My tech also said the stock intercooler and hoses can't handle the high pressures. He said the intercooler would blow apart ( eventually) at 35+ psi.....

Anyways that's my 2 cents, just another idea, each is different

Jon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58