Broken Battery Cable

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was starting and running all day, I went to start it to unhook the trailer I was using today at my shop and nothing but a single click and the gauges doing some funny stuff.

Started looking around, put a battery charger on it (no help). Had a guy
trying to help but as usual was more of a PITA than a help (you would have to know him:innocent)
I knew I had some corrosion on the battery cables so I started to clean them
up and I notice that the battery cable on the passenger side that goes down
to the starter is completely broken off!! It had corroded that bad!! it was
actually hard to notice the corrosion down there because it runs under the
negative cable.
Anyway I had a large eyelet hanging around that I crimped one for now. I was looking online and the only fix I could see so far is a complete positive battery cable system, from drivers to passenger side and down to the starter. It's quite pricey!
Anyone have this experince? If so how did you fix it? Seems there would be a replacement battery end that would crimp on like the broken on did instead of buying the whole system.

David Murphy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When you install the new cable, and/or clean and re-install the other cable clamps, hit it with a little protector. Just spray it on the clamp. Most will do a fair job and delay the corrosion problem. I have a old can of Krylon (I think that's the brand) in my shop. Had it for years. It sprays on yellow. Works well. I still get a little of the white powder in where the gap in the clamp is and the bolt goes through, and once a year I brush it off and hit it again with the spray. Funny thing it, we sell the ZEP Battery Coat and the Zep Battery Care and embarrassingly I haven't used either yet. The Battery Care is supposed to not just prevent the corrosion but neutralize it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used either product and what they have to say about them.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new complete battery cable for the truck but work has kept me busy and I havent put it on yet. I normally clean and spray my battery cables every fall in anticipation of plow season, i think i just missed the area where the clamp bends down.
I will check my shop but if i need some more spray i will give the zep stuff a shot, zep usually makes a pretty good product.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64