"Build my own exhaust" advice

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering building my own exhaust. The local muffler shop was saying I am looking at $7-$800 for them doing a 5" exhaust. I found a site that sales 5" sections of exhaust tubing...not yet sure on the gauge rating. My question is, is the bend over the axle (If I do the exhaust coming out behind the tire) the only bend I would have to get the muffler shop to do? I'm probablly gonna get a MBRP 4" down pipe.

Exhaust Connector 5" ID to 5" ID

Exhaust Tubing

Exhaust Adapter 4" ID to 5" ID Aluminized

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to readin some other posts about exhaust and read one about a "too big" exhaust would hurt the velocity of the exhaust gas exiting (Joe if you're readin this, you was in on the post I'm reffering to). I got to thinking about some exhaust tips I've seen on other newer diesels. The tips have about four flanges bent INTO the exhaust tip. Looks like it was designed to pull air into the tip of the exhaust to creat a vaccum to create a steady flow of exhaust gas out of the engine rather than going back towards the engine. How far off am I?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigger exhaust shifts the powerband.

those tips are not aero-motive. look at them closely.

It increases the power band right? I first noticed that exhaust on a duramax and it was on a lift...so I got a pretty good look at it. So whats the point of those flanges?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to readin some other posts about exhaust and read one about a "too big" exhaust would hurt the velocity of the exhaust gas exiting (Joe if you're readin this, you was in on the post I'm reffering to). I got to thinking about some exhaust tips I've seen on other newer diesels. The tips have about four flanges bent INTO the exhaust tip. Looks like it was designed to pull air into the tip of the exhaust to creat a vaccum to create a steady flow of exhaust gas out of the engine rather than going back towards the engine. How far off am I?

yep.. to Paraphrase what I said in that thread.. at some point, with a "Daily Driver" engine that has been Mod'd [some], like we, for the most part, have done or will do... Harmonics comes into play.. with exhaust pipe diameter, length and flow design.

If you think of it in terms of... What "Headers" do for a gasser (?).. Pipes of equal length and design..that "Tune" the exhaust flow.. for the specific engine.. to achieve the best Flow.. at the end of the Collector pipe.

Go to BIG ? you've lost the effect~effecientcy. (Looks good though ;)) To Small (?) It could be.. choked off.

Make any sense ??

A good, strait, clean 4" exhaust with a Flow Thru type muffler*.. is as good as it >needs to be<... on these [Daily Driver], PSD's. JMO guyz.

I'm not a "Guru" on the subject guyz... nor do I pretend to be.. My inputs on "Stuff" just comes from 50+ years of Tweaking/Building engines, that I either towed home, with Parts in a Hefty Bag.. or drove home... with a Trophy in the Passenger seat.. and [Somthimes].. some money in my pocket (not that often though).... With.

;):):lmao:lmao

Joe

*or strait pipe.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've had my mind set on a 5"....but mayybbbbeeee I'll go with a 4". I know that it doesn't get any more "performance affective" than a 4 and it will put me in a better position to make sure I'm getting a better flow velocity. Thanks Joe!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would their be a big advantage on adding a 4" up pipe?? I think I've seen those for sale

Simply put ?

A Big advantage ? No. An Advantage ? Yes.

Fireing order/turbo pulses can begin to disapate sooner.. in a 4" pipe.. than they can in a 3.5" pipe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14