built in NAV system

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
In my little truck the nav system seems to think its funny to send you through crackvilles, every time we go some wheres we haven't been before,
anyone n o how to stop that or at least have it tell me to BE ARMED at your next turn :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know who makes Ford's GPS stuff PB.. but on my Garmin, in the Tools & Set-up.. there's: Avoid Traffic/Avoid Congestion kinda things... we've found that selecting those options, when we get close to any towns & cities of any size.. we don't get inta the "Hoodz".

Also... when we see any Rail Road stuff on the screen.. we stay away.

BUT.. the Glockster Unit.. brings a certain measure of comfort too ??

The "Big Joe".. Edict of: On the road by 8'ish, Off the road by 3'ish.. or 250 miles traveled.. helps too ? At least you can do a Visual Recon/Situational awareness, of your surroundings. ;):D:sly:lmao

Sometimes.. it still git a little touchy though. Sign of the Times ?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my little truck the nav system seems to think its funny to send you through crackvilles, every time we go some wheres we haven't been before,
anyone n o how to stop that or at least have it tell me to BE ARMED at your next turn :coffee

My garmin does the something. This weekend went camping and set in the coordinates and ended up going through hill billy hell, 25 miles of dirt roads and 2 bridges that looked like they were build in the early 1800. I got to the camp and the ranger said came in with coordinates. Nobody comes in that way unless they are driving by gps coordinates. His last commit was you really had a fun drive. Needly to say I went home a different way.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Big Joe
most assuredly when we have the bus on the road its 250-300 a day.

the garmin i have in the rv keeps us pretty safe and sound. but the truck one, is anybodies guess.

i usually look up a place first online, but the last few we have been shifting on the fly and BAM end up in da hood, complete with hookers and gang bangers

the Springfield security system goes into arm mode, but you just never know.

i grew up in dallas and it was rough then, but now days it will flat jolt you, if your not careful.
i like the rr tracks idea :sly

dogman, a few years ago we went to the crater of diamonds sp in ar.
the google gps coordinates had us shaving miles and miles off a route........right down a one lane dirt road.
complete with tree over canopy about 12 feet high.
needless to say i did a long backup in the bus to get back on track
in fact just as we pulled into the park entrance was the dirt road exiting out back on the main road,

I have travel link on the trucks radio that shows road work and traffic, etc....wonder if they can add an app to show hoodlums

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if they can add an app to show hoodlums

better then that would be the brother voice comes on. says Dog you gettin in the hood, lock the door and turn around you dont want to go this way... :lmao

Just kidding......

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Garmin, when I have the option of shortest distance selected, it seems to take me thru more "hoodz." When I choose fastest route, it seems to keep me out of those areas.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the 4 of us needs to go on a camping trip together.
Bet that would be a hoot. LOL We just don't want Robert on the front door.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, that would be fun.
On my last camping trip look like seens from Deliverance. I was looking for a guy like this sitting on the porch.
deliv01.jpg

And the truck I passed had drivers that look tike this
deliv02.jpg

http://www.destgulch.com/movies/deliver/deliv47.wav

Last edited:

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got Magellan that has always been pretty good about keeping me on the main highways rather than going through the less than scenic areas. It just likes to think it's on a different road than it actually is so yells at me to get back on track. My old GPS unit would guide me to to an exit ramp and then right back on the highway. If I knew where I was going I'd just ignore it but when going somewhere new I felt like an idiot exiting just to get back on the highway. That's part of the reason that one is no longer used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64