Question Bullly Dog Power Pup Try Out?

sambo

Sambo
Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought a Used Power Pup triple and has used it on his 06 6.0l for a couple months now. He has offered to let me try it out for a while on my 06 6.0l. My truck is completely stock, except I have removed the muffler, so I am 4" open from the CAT back. I am wondering if there are any WARNINGS out there from the forum about doing this? I have heard that running programmers onm these trucks without doing intake and exhaust first can be dangerous. Any thoughts?

Sam

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
Its ok to try it out for a little while. I would suggest some gauges to keep an eye on your exhaust gas temps. Thats the biggest problem with the stock intake and exhaust. Other than that just dont go full throttle for extended periods of time without having gauges to monitor things.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I have one of those......

DO NOT RUN IT ON THE EXTREME PROGRAM UNLESS YOU WANT TO BLOW HEADGASKETS!!!!!!

Bullydog customer service even told me this when I called to ask them some tech questions. If you have a stock truck, do not run the extreme program.

I also had a little problem with running just the performance program. I wasn't "driving it like I stole it" and it actually created so much black soot that it clogged my EGR in about 3 months. I have since kept the stock programming around town and then put the performace tune on when I am going to tow or when I am going to run long distance. This seems to work really well.

It did give me about 1.5 mpg more though when I am running it.

sambo

Sambo
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am going to program it to the performance setting tonight, and run it for a couple days to see what i think. So, lets assume that I get the fever for the power, and must have one, what is the reccomended mods for the stock truck to make it worthy to hold up to the punishment? I am guessing I just need to get the truck to breath better.

sambo

Sambo
Reaction score
Since you brought it up, there is a lot of discussion out there about unplugging your EGR. Supposedly it helps the turbo spool up just a tad quicker at lower RPMS, and you technically would get cooler air running through without the recirculated gasses. Since I don't have to run my truck through emissions, I don't have a problem there, but any opionion on unplugging the EGR?

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me and all my quesitions.

albran

Very Junior Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought a Used Power Pup triple and has used it on his 06 6.0l for a couple months now. He has offered to let me try it out for a while on my 06 6.0l. My truck is completely stock, except I have removed the muffler, so I am 4" open from the CAT back. I am wondering if there are any WARNINGS out there from the forum about doing this? I have heard that running programmers onm these trucks without doing intake and exhaust first can be dangerous. Any thoughts?

Sam

I wouldn't touch it till you get a PRE Turbo EGT guage.
Then watch for 1200 degrees. 12hundred for a couple (?) of minutes is maybe ok, any higher or longer and it's off to the shop.

ab

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your stock exhaust is only 3.5" after the cat. You would be better off with a custom tuned SCT from a known SCT dealer.

gunnar

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been running a Bullydog for the better part of a year now, mostly in the tow tune. I pull a 38' fifth wheel in and around the Canadian Rockies that weighs around 13k pounds when loaded. At first I didnt' have guages and yes, I know I was dancing with the devil, but recently I put on and exhuast and removed the cat. I also went with the Bullydog PMT as it can monitor allot more that just EGT, trans and boost. I also liked the fact that I can watch the oil and coolent temps. I have had no problems with the Bullydog on my truck and I like it as I am not looking for killer power or anything like that. I just want a bit more power for towing and mileage. No matter what tuner you may get the one thing that is going to hurt your truck is your foot, just my opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim